X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abscissa
    Journeyman
    • Jul 2009

Feature Request: Option to include extension in "Name" column

As the subject says. Currently, the "Name" column shows filenames with the extension removed. I would rather be able to not have them removed.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The extension is only removed if you have the extension column visibile. If you don't the extensions are shown as part of the name column.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Abscissa
      Journeyman
      • Jul 2009

But I want both.

I *always* want the extension visible in "name". But I also want the "extension" column so that I can sort by extension. This would be much like in Win Explorer (except better, because it uses actual extensions instead of arbitrarily-chosen "file type" labels).

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is it a visual, reading reason to need the .ext included with the filename?

The Ext column is positioned directly after the Name column and can be sized to appear next to the text, and if you attempt to rename a file you still have the option of editing the extension.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

I agree that I prefer to always see the extension on the filename. When sorting by a column other than extension, it is too time consuming to eyeball across the line to see what extension is paired with each file. I would welcome this suggestion as a configurable option or a tweak.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Abscissa
            Journeyman
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
            I agree that I prefer to always see the extension on the filename. When sorting by a column other than extension, it is too time consuming to eyeball across the line to see what extension is paired with each file.
            Yes. I just simply find it preferable, and I also agree with Michael's specific reason. Additionally:

- Many directories have files of very different lengths. I find that it is usually impossible to place the ext column in a location that simulates having the ext actually displayed as part of the filename. And even if I could it would probably be different for different directories, and I don't want to be going around setting it for all the different directories.

- I'm accustomed to always having extensions visible as part of the filename, plus I'll often have files that don't follow the typical "name dot ext" pattern. For instance, I may have both 'foo.ext' and 'foo.ext.zip' (same file, but zipped), which gets very confusing since I'll see 'foo' and 'foo.ext' instead, and think that 'foo.ext' is 'foo.ext', when it's really 'foo.ext.zip'. Or I may have a tarball (*.tar.gz), which will end up looking at a glance like an ordinary tar file. And I'll sometimes have may have files with no extension for one of any number of reasons, which can be confusing if I also have something similar that does have an extension (like 'foo' and 'foo.ext' or 'readme' and 'readme.txt'). And I sometimes have unix-style hidden files (no extension and starts with a dot) in which case the filename gets completely misinterpreted as an extension to a nameless file.

And again, even though I could still see the exts by disabling the ext column, I *do* still want that column visible, largely so I can sort on it, and also so that when it's sorted by ext I can easily see at a glance roughly how many of each ext there are and where the yyy files are and where the zzz files are, etc.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the info. I've added this to our Customer Wishlist.

If you have any additional info or use cases, please post them here, or email us at [email protected] and include a link to this post.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...