Feature request: SingleEXE installation.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • curtm
    New User
    • Jun 2009

Feature request: SingleEXE installation.

Hi -

I am a consultant, and I carry most of my development tools with me from site to site on a USB key: for many clients, I work on many different machines, or do not have local admin / install rights on the machine.

I would really like it if Beyond Compare were to offer a simple non-install install of the tool (i.e. "installation" into Windows is unnecessary, and configuration data were kept on an .ini file in the install directory rather than the registry.

Thanks,
    Curt
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Curt,

We have that now. Choose "Create portable install" when running setup. Further details
    here.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• curtm
      New User
      • Jun 2009

Oops.

I hang my head in shame...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Curt,

It is an option not a lot of other products offer, so if you happen to miss it during the installation you probably wouldn't think of running it again.

The advantage of the default installation is that it stores settings in each users AppData folder. So each user using the computer can have their own comparisons/sessions/options. Using the AppData folder also allows for Write Access for Limited or Standard users.

In case you need it, besides the above linked article for general usb keys, we also will soon have U3 support (requires 3.1.4):
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...z=kb_u3_v3.php
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...