Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compare menu

Michael,

In build 443 we've tinkered with the comparison criteria settings. I am interested in hearing if this combination would work for your typical source projects:

• [ ] Automatically scan subfolders
    • [ ] Expand subfolders when loading session
    • [x] Compare file size
    • [x] Compare timestamps
    • [x] Compare contents
    • ( ) CRC comparison
    • (x) Binary comparison
    • ( ) Rules-based comparison
    • [x] Skip if quick tests indicate files are the same
    • [x] Override quick test results

In particular, I'm trying to provide and environment where you don't need to use the Compare Contents command at all. The slower comparisons would only be performed when you access folders. Imagine also a new Scan Subfolders command that would be available to selectively color the unscanned subfolders. (For now you can press the keypad + to expand the a subfolder and then - to collapse it again.)
    Tim T Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    In particular, I'm trying to provide and environment where you don't need to use the Compare Contents command at all.
    Thanks, Tim

As much as I appreciate your goal, whether I need to use the Compare Contents command is irrelevant when it comes to the other issue I reported which deviates from industry standards:

If a command requires additional information to complete its intended action, and you use a dialog box to supply that information, follow the command with an ellipsis (...). The ellipsis provides a visual cue that the command requires additional information.
    and

Label a button Cancel if canceling returns the environment to its previous state (leaving no side effect)
    Since, in the situation I described, a content compare starts without the "Compare Contents" dialog returning additional information, the "ellipsis" is improperly used.

And since cancelling the dialog does not leave the environment in its previous state, the "Cancel" button is improperly used.

I don't want the "Compare Contents" option removed. I do anticipate that I will want to use it from time. I just want the design standards adhered to in this scenario.

Thanks, but I'm not asking about Compare Contents right now.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Quick tests
    [x] Compare file size
    [x] Compare timestamps

Requires opening files
    [x] Compare contents
         ( ) CRC comparison
         (•) Binary comparison
         ( ) Rules-based comparison
         [x] Skip if quick tests indicate files are the same
    [x] Override quick test results

I've tested these settings. They do, indeed, speed up remote to remote compares. Thank you. I do indeed like having both a Quick Compare and a Compare Contents option in the context menu.

That being said, launching the "Compare Contents" dialog on a subfolder still starts the compare without the user completing the "Compare Contents" dialog and still leaves the environment in a modified state when the user clicks the Cancel button.

In other words, yes, the new quick test option works great! It fully addresses the issue I initally reported in this thread by eliminating the need for a "Compare Contents" action when a "Quick Compare" is desired.
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 11-Jan-2008 at 06:22 PM.