X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

FTP non-completion

Anyidea why this transfer of one small file got stuck "Finalizing"?
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

It's waiting to refresh the directory listing so it can update the size/last modified time. Looks like a file transfer got in between the upload and the refresh, so it's waiting for that to complete first.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> Looks like a file transfer got in between the upload and the
      > refresh, so it's waiting for that to complete first.

How so? No uncompleted file transfer shows on the UI. Or could it have been in another BC instance?

Chris (who rarely uses only one instance of his favourite utility app )
      Last edited by chrisjj; 03-Jun-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

At the end of the log:

Sent> STOR wolfsonsummermilongas2009.htm
        Sent> SITE UTIME ...
        Sent> TYPE I
        Sent> PASV
        Sent> RETR TSE4V2mp3-160k-inc-inlay.zip

So it finished uploading "wolfsonsummermilongas2009.htm" and then before it refreshed the listing it started downloading "TSE4V2mp3-160k-inc-inlay.zip". The zip doesn't have a file on the opposite side so it wasn't triggered by a content comparison. I assume you either used the "Copy to Left" command and the progress bar hasn't shown up yet, or you double clicked to expand it.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

> So it finished uploading "wolfsonsummermilongas2009.htm" and then before
          > it refreshed the listing it started downloading "TSE4V2mp3-160k-

Fair enough...

> The zip doesn't have a file on the opposite side so it wasn't triggered by a
          > content comparison. I assume you either used the "Copy to Left" command
          > and the progress bar hasn't shown up yet, or you double clicked to expand
          > it.

Neither, to my recollection. Here's the post-report completion of the story:

... and I cannot fathom what caused the transfer you mention and all those that followed.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

The other possibility is that it started calculating CRCs for those files. It does lazy loading of the CRCs, so it only calculates ones where it's displayed an empty CRC value, and it doesn't currently cancel those calculations if you hide the column again before it gets to them. It only downloaded the files visible in your first screenshot, and not the ones higher in the list shown in your second, so I think that's actually the most likely culprit.
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Craig
              The other possibility is that it started calculating CRCs for those files.
              Actually, I had considered CRC calculations and dismissed it...

Scooter: Does BC3 calculate CRCs even if the CRC column is not enabled?

Originally posted by Craig
              It does lazy loading of the CRCs...doesn't currently cancel those calculations if you hide the column again before it gets to them.
              Chrisjj: Do you have compare contents checked in your session settings? If so, are you using the CRC comparison option? If not, did you have the CRC column showing and then hide it?
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
                Does BC3 calculate CRCs even if the CRC column is not enabled?
                Only in the context I mentioned earlier. If you turn on the CRC column it will start calculating CRCs for those files that are visible on the screen, and as you scroll around it will start them for any that you scroll into view. If it starts calculating CRCs and you then hide the CRC column it will keep going on the ones that it's already queued up for download, but won't do any new ones past those.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Actually, I fibbed a little when I said it only does it in that case. New in 3.1.3, if it's doing a binary comparison and has to read through the entire file anyway it does calculate the CRC at the same time, but that doesn't trigger a new download.

Since the files it downloaded are orphans it wouldn't have done the binary comparison, so this wouldn't apply.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

> If it starts calculating CRCs and you then hide the CRC column

I did indeed hide the CRC column sometime around then.

> it will keep going on the ones that it's already queued up for download

Thanks. That behaviour is worth amending, I suggest.

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

> did you have the CRC column showing and then hide it?

Yes.

Comment

Working...