Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    You can open the files in a hex compare to view encoding differences.
    Also, I forgot to mention that if you have the View \ File Info header pane visible, it has an encoding dropdown. Text files may show up as ANSI, Unicode, UTF8, etc. based on how they were saved. Create a text file in Windows notepad and save it. Then do a File \ Save As... and save it using a different encoding. If you compare the two files, they will have identical content (rules-based content compare), but a binary compare will show them as different because the same content is saved to the file in a different encoding format.

One last thing you can do is right-click on the column headers in a folder compare and enable the CRC column. This is a checksum calculation that will only be the same if the files are exactly the same from a binary perspective.

Note: You may not want to keep the CRC column enabled for large folders and files, however, since BC3 has to read the entire file before it can calulate the checksum.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Thanks for your help today guys - I will try out some of those file checking options, but I think essentially I am up and running again

I'm working on setting up Beyond Compare to work similarly to WinMerge for directory compares (we are transitioning into BC)... I followed this thread to setup directory compare sessions to do full binary compares by default so that in difference-only view you would instantly see only files with contents that don't match (we often have time-stamp changes). The problem I have is that even if I compare a folder to itself, BC opens, does it's compare, and lists all subfolders in the folder until I manually highlight (CTRL+A) and then choose Compare Contents, at which point they disappear...which leads me to believe something isn't happening properly or they would have not shown up to begin with.

Simple to recreate, set your sessions settings to binary and override quick test results, and then compare any folder (with subfolders) to itself and you'll see the subfolders listed until you click them or initiate the compare yourself manually. Can you help me resolve this?

Hello,

What color are the subfolders before you click them, and is it expanding the subfolder that removes them, or double clicking the files within?

From your description, you've set things up correctly. If you view the pair of files, and note the center column between them is populated with an equal or red unequal sign, then those files have had a content scan run. Folders don't show the icon in the center column, but the Session Settings, Binary scan should run on everything as the comparison loads. The Compare Contents active command is similar to a Copy or Delete; it only runs when activated on a selection, and isn't what you are looking for.

If the Session Settings are set to run Binary in the Comparison tab, what is currently enabled in the Handling tab? By default "Automatically scan subfolders in background" should be enabled; if not, please enable it. Depending on your filtering and what needs to be removed, you may also want to enable "Automatically scan top-level orphan folders". Without, these folders are still an Orphan status, but wouldn't have been built (size column is unpopulated). Enabling this will also build them as well.

If you are still having any trouble, could you post or email a full screen screenshot of a selection but before you double click it? If emailed to support@scootersoftware.com, please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference. Also, if emailed, you can include your Help menu -> Support; Export: BCSupport.zip, which will include a copy of all of your settings which we can look through.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi Aaron, thanks for the reply. If you setup BC similarly and compare a directory to itself does yours show nothing in the difference-only view? To be clear, I'm right clicking in explorer, selecting left folder, and then right-clicking same folder and comparing to itself. I've tried various settings (including those you've suggested here), with no success. I am wondering if anyone there can make BC do it properly?

Here's how it looks when the compare opens:
    https://puu.sh/wUtY1/ab513f685e.png

Comparison Settings (default for sessions):
    https://puu.sh/wUtWT/00da519234.png

Handling:
    https://puu.sh/wUtWp/fee9a94857.png

Also, the folders which appear on both sides will disappear as soon as you choose compare contents (as the dialog opens) before you hit start to do the actual compare.
    Last edited by ehansen; 27-Jul-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Hello,

If you've compared a folder to itself (same folder on both sides), then there are no differences. Everything would be equal since the left and right sides are the exact same location. If you switch to Show All, it should show all of your items with the grey/equal coloring. The default Yellow is used in this limited scenario since we don't need to scan the same folder to itself to see if it is equal, so it begins in an unscanned state.

The expected workflow is to load two different folders which may or may not be equal. We then align the items inside and compare them. Do you have a pair of folders you need to compare?

We have some overview tutorial videos which might help explain the core process of loading a comparison and comparing files within, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/features.php?zz=v4videos
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Aaron,

I understand that there is no real-world reason to compare a folder to itself, the problem showed up comparing two different folders (all sub-folders show in the list even when identical and set to only show differences). I'm simply comparing the folder to itself as a simple way to reproduce the problem that ensures the folders are identical. Therefore, BC should show NO differences, yet it lists all of the sub-folders.

But, upon re-testing, it appears that my test case was the problem. It's odd, but comparing a directory to itself gives BC trouble (as noted here). If I duplicate the directory and do the compare between two folders it it now working correctly. Not sure which of the several settings was the one that corrected it now though, because my test case had the anomaly baked in so when it would have started working in the real-world, my test case continued to show false results.
    Last edited by ehansen; 27-Jul-2017 at 12:24 PM.

If the handling tab options were disabled (to automatically scan specific folders), then top level orphans or subfolders might not be scanned (yellow). Or perhaps you had accidentally opened the same folder twice?
    Aaron P Scooter Software