Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You can do as Lutz describes. You can also uncheck it as a default for ALL text compares.

Go to the Home screen
    expand the Edit Session Defaults folder, select Text Compare
    go to the Importance tab and uncheck it here.

This will save it as the session default for all Text Compares.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi All,

I'm trying to resolve the same issue but i've one problem..

I've applied the rule to ignore 1st line for extensions aspx;ascx.

However when i perform binary comparison, it shows me file mismatch icon & when i double click & open it in view mode, icon changes to "almost equal" (~~).

It seems that rule is applied only when i open the file in view mode.

How can i include this rule in folder scan so that all the files display this "almost equal" sign after the scan itself , so that i dont have to manually open each file in view mode.

any help is highly appreciated. Thanks .

Edit the Session Settings for your folder compare and enable the Compare contents section using a Rules-based comparison instead of a Binary comparison. If you leave Quick tests enabled, be sure to check the option to Override quick test results.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Hello,

A Binary compare runs a binary comparison, comparing each and every bit of the file (not just the text.
    A CRC compare runs a CRC comparison, scanning the entire file and then generating a unique code which is compared.
    A Rules-based compare runs our file view's comparison, as if you opened and viewed the file using the default file compare and then return the results of the comparison.

To pick which to use automatically, go to the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings dialog. Select the Importance tab, and make sure that the Quick tests: Compare timestamps and Compare size are enabled, and that Compare Contents: Rules-based is enabled, and that Override Quick Test results is enabled.

As a side note, you can show/hide "Almost Equal" files with the '~' by toggling on or off the Ignore Unimportant Differences in the toolbar (of the Folder Compare or Text Compare).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Smile

Thanks a lot guys. I'm able to resolve the issue

Hi,

I'm trying to ignore the first line of a pdf file with BC 4.1.5.

I think the menus have changed since this post was written. How would I do this with BC 4.1.5?

Thanks for the help
    m

Hello,

We have a detailed KB article and video here. The menus for the video are slightly different but the concepts and buttons are largely the same:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

And we have a newer Unimportant video for BC4 here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/features.php?zz=v4videos

The grammar you are looking for is Category: Lines. You can then select "Or line 1" to match the first line every time. Give the element an Element Name. You can then make this Element Name unimportant in the Session Settings by unchecking it (per view or as a new session default).
    Aaron P Scooter Software