Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GreenMoose Guest

Default Feature request: Highlight instances of a selected word

Notepad++ has a feature which highlight other occurrences of a word when I select it.
    I think it would be nice feature in BC as well (makes it easy to spot where a variable is used for instance, I often use it when I'm editing .bat files to find usage of %Variable%).
    Although notepad++ restricts it to one word, i.e. no whitespace in selection is allowed. Don't know if this limitation is good or bad, IMHO it's bad =).

UltraEdit has a "Highlight All Items Found" checkbox on their find dialog as well. The search string can pretty much be anything (no whitespace restrictions). And, as I suspect is the case in Notepad++, it really is not a highlight, it is a selection. You can actually do a cut operation to remove all of the found strings.

Edit: I was mistaken about being able to copy or cut the collective selection. I guess I'll have to put in an enhancement request with my friends at IDM Software...
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 27-Apr-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Yes, highlight on the fly would be nice. Highlight with regular expression support would be even better(like EditPad Pro). I use the highlight feature all of the time in Firefox with the find function. Also, I'd prefer that the find option in bc just search in a loop instead of having to specify whether to search up/down.

Rob

Hello,

Thanks for the highlight suggestions. I've added them as an entry on our wishlist.

Note: we have a Wrap Search option, so you do not have to specify Up or Down if you check that box.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by rgjordan View Post
    I'd prefer that the find option in bc just search in a loop instead of having to specify whether to search up/down.
    Choose the "Wrap search" option on the Find dialog.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMoose View Post
    Notepad++ has a feature which highlight other occurrences of a word when I select it.
    I think it would be nice feature in BC as well (makes it easy to spot where a variable is used for instance, I often use it when I'm editing .bat files to find usage of %Variable%).
    Although notepad++ restricts it to one word, i.e. no whitespace in selection is allowed. Don't know if this limitation is good or bad, IMHO it's bad =).
    Agreed, this would be sweet.

I would also love to see this feature. Frequently I have to copy text from BC to N++ to see all the places where some (let's say) variable is used. This is very inconvenient. It's not hard to add, and lots of other text editors have it.

Thanks. This isn't a feature we've been able to implement, but is still on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

It would be great if this gets implemented. It saves times and errors during code reviews, highlighting all uses of a specific variable for instance. Hope this will be added.

I'd really like this feature too. Understand for C++ and eclipse has it.

Cheers
    Eddie