Beyond Compare processes remaining in memory?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Sorensen
    Visitor
    • Apr 2009

Beyond Compare processes remaining in memory?

Hi,

I'm running BC3, and I just noticed when running Process Explorer (Sysinternals) that multiple instances of BCompare.exe are apparently remaining in memory. Windows Task Manager shows this too on the Processes tab. I'm using it via the TFS integration in Visual Studio 2008 and the Windows Explorer integration. Is this a known issue?

Thanks much!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I am not familiar with this issue. Are you using the newest version (3.1.0) and BComp.exe as shown in our KB article?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs.php
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RunnerBiker
      Expert
      • Feb 2008

It happens with mine too. BC3 Version 3.1.0.10168.

Attached is a picture of the Windows Task Manager showing only the internet explorer running. Also a picture of the processes running (sorted). and it shows two iterations of BC3.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Do you two have TFS integrated into BC using the Tools->"Source Control" dialog? Does it still occur if you remove that?
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• RunnerBiker
          Expert
          • Feb 2008

I am not using TFS or source control. When I open Tools => "Source Control" it says No Providers Detected

Comment

• RunnerBiker
            Expert
            • Feb 2008

I just opened BC3 to see what was in the "source control" dialog and then closed it. BC3 did not leave a third copy in memory. The first two (from the picture above) are still there.

Many times I leave BC3 running for days while I'm working with my MP3 music files. I also leave my system on 24/7 and reboot once a month or whenever a new software download requires it.

System.
            Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3 and all the latest Microsoft patches.
            RAM 4 GB
            Disk: 500 GB (120 GB free)

This is not a new problem for me. It has happened with all versions of BC3. The first time I noticed it, I was trying to install a new version of BC3 and the installation told me I had BC3 running. It wasn't in the Applications window, but it was in the Processes window.
            Last edited by RunnerBiker; 15-Apr-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Bill Sorensen
              Visitor
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Aaron
              Hello,

I am not familiar with this issue. Are you using the newest version (3.1.0) and BComp.exe as shown in our KB article?
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs.php
              Running version 3.0.15 (build 9758), Pro Edition for Windows.

Compare is set up in the VS TFS options as command:
              C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe
              with arguments:
              %1 %2 /title1=%6 /title2=%7

I just updated to the latest version and have not been able to replicate it yet.

Thank you,
              Bill

Comment

Working...