What about marking files for later processing?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

What about marking files for later processing?

Often I want to select many big files from one ftp site, and then run a download operation and forget about it, going on with my other jobs. So, I do not want to handle one file per time. Many times these files are spread in several different directories, that contains also other files that I do not want to be considered. So, I cannot select folders. So, what I have to do right now is that I have to click the first file, then I have to ctrl+click the second file, and so on. If I do not keep ctrl pressed (and it happens!) previous files are no longer selected, so I have to start from the beginning. I would like to know if it is possible for You to add a feature, so that I can mark some files, and then I can say copy marked files. You might want to consider this feature also for any operation, not only for copying. You might consider it as a sort of filter, so that when I run an operation B.C.3 says copy only marked, copy only filtered, or something like this. You already have some code for this, I mean that now I can exclude specific files, You might want to reuse the same code with the opposite meaning.

Thank You very much

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Rodolfo,

Do you run into problems if trigger the copies right away? Instead of selecting several files and copying, simply perform the copy on the files, then when you transfer more they will wait in queue until you have a free connection slot (configured in Tools -> FTP Profiles -> specific profile: Connection tab; Simultaneous connections.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Thank You for the idea, I will try to check if I can use this workaround. I believe that for ftp download it will be ok, but please consider this idea for other operations.

Thank You very much again

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Criminole
        New User
        • Apr 2009

To follow up on what the OP was asking, I too would like this functionality.

How I would use it would be slightly different. I would like to be able to go through 2 folders, and mark everything that I want to move, without doing it right then. This way at a later time I could open that saved "marking" and run it instantly.

I am in process of moving files from a dev to a live environment. In the next few weeks, I will need to move these files late at night when the system is down. I don't feel like sitting here for hours picking the files to move then. It would be nice if I could compare those files during normal business hours, then have a preset package ready to move at night so that I can maximize my head + pillow time.

Chris

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello Criminole,

It sounds like in your situation, you should use Filters to filter out everything you do not want transfered, and then perform a Sync action. You could use Script to do this, triggered with a Windows Scheduled Task call.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

I've added your thoughts to a Customer Wishlist entry we have.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
              Veteran
              • Oct 2007

Aaron, I tested Your idea and it is workable, but it is not the best solution. If I have only one connection, while it is being used to download a file, I cannot open other folders. Instead, if I can open a folder, mark files that I want, the mark operation is very quick, so I can immediately move on to other folders. Only at the end I would say GO! and B.C.3 would start the operations and I could do other jobs. I see that You have added my issue to the wish list, thank You, please consider that other people have expressed something like my original idea (I want the copyright!) and so it might be of some value also for others.
              Thank You again
              Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Working...