What Happened to Copy Both Sides to Clipboard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomtrias
    Visitor
    • Feb 2007

What Happened to Copy Both Sides to Clipboard?

Is it just me, or did this feature disappear?

Thanks,
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Thomas,

"Copy both sides to clipboard" was in BC2, but it is not in Beyond Compare 3.

Is it a feature that you used often in BC2? When did you find it useful?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• tomtrias
      Visitor
      • Feb 2007

Chris,

I use it periodically to quickly pick out file differences so that I can paste the over / under into emails and notes for other developers. In most of these cases, I don't need all of the file differences, just a few lines. I suppose I could run a Text Compare Report for just the selected lines without context and then choose to send the report to the clipboard, but that's quite a few more clicks than one menu entry. Also, which looks more like the old over / under? Interleaved? Or I could train our devs to read the diff format.

It looks like none of the formats really match the old over / under, so I will end up having to modify the results of the Text Compare Report.

Thanks,

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for describing how you used the feature in BC2. I'm not sure if we'll add this back in to BC3, but I'll discuss it with our developers.

The "Interleaved" report layout is the intended replacement for the "Over/under" layout from BC2.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mbg
          Visitor
          • Jan 2008

I was also looking for this option today, having used it in BC2 in the past. In a large file, it's pretty handy to be able to select a small section and copy both sides to the clipboard for e-mail discussion, etc. rather than producing a whole report.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the input on how you used the feature. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist notes.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

BC3 has the ability for the Reports to act on just selection, you can then select a Report type, select Text output, and Copy to Clipboard.

Interleaved is probably the report type you would want to use.

Does this feature meet your needs?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mbg
                Visitor
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                BC3 has the ability for the Reports to act on just selection, you can then select a Report type, select Text output, and Copy to Clipboard.

Interleaved is probably the report type you would want to use.

Does this feature meet your needs?
                Aaron, I guess it's a way to get it done... but it was just so logical (and way more natural) the old way -- to just select a bunch of lines on both sides and be able to copy them to the clipboard.

The reason I use BC over other comparison tools is because of the ease-of-use and the thought that goes into the UI, so doing it as you suggest kind of breaks this impression I have of the product, though admittedly only in this particular case.

It wouldn't be so bad if the feature had never been there... but it worked ideally for me and was taken away!

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

I would have to agree with mbg on this one. In area after area Beyond Compare excels in presenting an intuitive, simple, user-friendly interface to the user. Although I use Beyond Compare heavily on a daily basis, I rarely do the exact same task in Beyond Compare on a regular basis. Most of my work with BC3 is on-the-fly editing and merging. Functionality like Session management, scripting, and reporting is great for the user that needs to do the same task over and over again in a consistant manner... but BC3 threatens to leave on-the-fly users behind by removing the specialized select and copy functionality we depend on.
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks, Michael and mbg.

I've added your notes to a Customer Wishlist entry on the subject. If anyone else has any specific use cases where they use this functionality, we'd like to hear it.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• maurice
                      Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2008

I'd like to add my support for at least adding back the original option. I don't use this feature often, but when I need it, I really want it. It's aggravating to look for it and be reminded...oh, right...it's not there any more.

I also suggest adding the option to the context menu for the File Compare window.

Comment

• James S
                        New User
                        • Sep 2012

Second the request

Please please please bring this back. The ability to hotkey this was what made this program useful as opposed to our internal comparing tools at the company I work for.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

This item is still on our Customer Wishlist. Thanks for the suggestion and use case; I assume it was also for generating Over/Under reports of a subsection?
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• zartc
                            Visitor
                            • Nov 2012

You know what? I didn't even know BC had this functionality!! It would have saved me a lot of time if I knew this functionality exists!
                            This functionality is wheel hidden, please make it more visible, why not bring it back to the context menu as reclaimed by old BC2 users?
                            ZC

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've been pretty busy with several larger projects, but this is still on our wishlist. If you have any specific use cases or sample files, I'd gladly add them to our entry on the subject.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...