X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by misi01
    Quite right Michael, but my original "complaint" was the fact that, outwardly at least, two "identical" lines were being marked as different.
    If you have the "Compare line endings" option enabled (Session Settings \ Importance tab \ Miscellaneous group box) then all of your lines will show as different when PC is viewed against the mainframe. Uncheck this option if you wish to see differences in line content only.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• misi01
      Old Hand
      • Jun 2005

I agree - it is getting confusing

Let's start afresh. Here's a comparison between 2 files that are identical. Attach 1 shows the REAL source code on the PC. Attach 2 shows how BC3 sees it compared to a mainframe file. Based on the line numbers, where did line 7 (empty) suddenly come from ? Same thing with lines 9, 11, 13 etc etc.

Comment

• chrroe
        Pooh-Bah
        • Oct 2007

Hi!

What happens when you load the two files in a Hex Compare (instead of the default Text Compare) ?

I guess the FTP-server adds additional line endings ... ?

Bye
        Christoph

Comment

• misi01
          Old Hand
          • Jun 2005

I can't (?) load a mainframe file using FTP via hex compare. Remember, comparisons of a PC to PC file aren't of interest, it's PC to mainframe that we use all the time.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by misi01
            Let's start afresh. Here's a comparison between 2 files that are identical. Attach 1 shows the REAL source code on the PC. Attach 2 shows how BC3 sees it compared to a mainframe file. Based on the line numbers, where did line 7 (empty) suddenly come from ? Same thing with lines 9, 11, 13 etc etc.
            I can understand that you are frustrated with your mainframe compare, but it is not helpful for you to jump from one issue to another without first bringing closure to the first. You now appear to be addressing an ecoding issue (which I believe, you've been addressing in another thread) and you've completely abandoned the discussion on line endings. Let's just focus on the original problem in this thread, and leave the encoding issues in the other thread...
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• misi01
              Old Hand
              • Jun 2005

Thank you for your attempted help Michael

You are quite right - I'm breaking one of the basic rules about forums and topics - my apologies. I've now taken this offline with scooter software instead (easier to send files and screen captures). I'll append the results/conclusions we arrive at as and when they're available.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've been sending emails back and forth, but the general fixes we employed:
                -forced the FTP to be the ASCII transfer type, or (the way we ended up with) force to be Binary and then force the file format to properly define the correct Encoding.
                -limited line length in the file format
                -fixed the definition of the file format file mask (it as not selected automatically for the correct files).

I also sent a follow-up email to see how it has been working so far.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...