X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

No progress bar when saving a snapshot

When saving a snapshot, there is no progress bar/cancel button like there is for other file operations, so it is impossible to know when the snapshot file is ready. If you attempt to open the snapshot file before the snapshot completes, BC3 logs an error:

Unable to load filename.bcss: Stream read error
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The "Saving snapshot" dialog is modal, so it most certainly does have a cancel button. The progress dialog in that dialog shows progress when we can (calculating CRCs), but can't show anything useful when it's visiting the folders for the first time since we don't know how deep everything is and where the subfolders are. I'm not sure what you'd expect to happen if you try to load a snapshot while it's still saving, but a stream read error seems reasonable to me.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Sorry, but there was no modal dialog when I was saving my snapshot. I tried it several times. Later, on a different machine, I noticed a modal dialog when saving a snapshot. I do not know why it did not show up on the first machine. Weird.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

P.S. If there had been a modal dialog, I would not have been able to navigate to the .bcss file and attempt to load it into the other side of the existing session (the side not being saved to the snapshot)...and that is precisely what I did. I did not launch a new BC3 session or attempt to open the snapshot from Windows Explorer.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Michael,

The "Save Snapshot" dialog is modal. The only scenario I can think of this happening is if you tried to open the snapshot file in a BC window while another window was saving the snapshot.

If you find steps to repeat this error, please let us know.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Yes, I realize that the "Save Snapshot" dialog is modal. When I clicked save, the dialog closed immediately instead of staying open and showing the files that were being processed during the save. I assumed it must be saving the snapshot in the background because I was saving a snapshot of a very large folder structure. Perhaps I clicked on Other Folder by mistake and actually was saving a snapshot of a small folder instead. Just disregard this thread as I can't seem to reproduce the issue that I was seeing before.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Well, all's not lost. This did lead me to find a bug in the save snapshot cancelling.

The other thing that you may have seen is that if the path that you're saving contains extended characters (>127) the current release can't read the produced snapshot. There was an earlier thread about it, and I think it does produce stream read errors. The next release will have that fixed too.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...