• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare in Explorer Context Menu

Tim,

I've been using the Submenu option for Beyond Compare in the Explorer context menu. It is somewhat confusing to see the same icon for the parent level menu item as exists in the submenu to initiate a compare. Please consider using the application icon in the parent item when a user has BC3 configured to use submenus in the Explorer context menu as follows:

I've attached the image I used below:
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Tim, have you given any thought to this?

I still find the "Compare" icon at the root level somewhat confusing.
    I would prefer it if the root icon were unique.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello, Michael.
      We haven't had any other complaints of it being confusing to users. I like the idea of a different top level icon, but that particular icon does not match the art style (simplified) that we have been going towards. The current icon for the compare (the two arrows) is our program icon as well. It is similar to our BC2 shell extensions/main icon, but made to be a bit (in my opinion) prettier. It has the brand awareness that comes from our users who use BC2.
      We probably won't be revisiting our icon designs until we have a bit more time.

Thanks for the suggestion.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
        that particular icon does not match the art style (simplified) that we have been going towards.
        That's the whole point. It is the same icon that shows up on the desktop and in the start menu. Since it represents the application (and not specific functionality) it seems to me that displaying the application's main icon would be the most appropriate. It need not match the "simplicity" of the action icons since it does not fall into the same category.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...