Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you have backup on save enabled, and is there any antivirus software installed, either on your system or on the server that you're connecting to? If so, which one and what version? What OS is the server running?

Support for copying line endings has nothing whatsoever to do with the data loss issue. The file is written out the same, whether you use "Save As" with the same filename or just use the "Save" command after copying lines. To get the error message you encountered, either the original file should be there as a backup or the edited version should be available in the same directory as a BC3*.tmp file. Can you confirm that one way or the other?
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Support for copying line endings has nothing whatsoever to do with the data loss issue.
    While, technically, that is true...my point was that I would not have run into this situation (and thus would not have lost the file) if I had been able to merge the line within the text compare session.

Do you have backup on save enabled?
    No. One thing I really despise is when utilities clutter my hard disks with backup files. If BC3 had an option to delete the backup file after a successful save operation, then I would consider using it.

Is there any antivirus software installed, either on your system or on the server that you're connecting to? If so, which one and what version? What OS is the server running?
    CA eTrust Antivirus 7.0 SP1
    Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2

While it certainly is possible that the anti-virus software was involved...I've never had this happen before...and I BC to this server all the time.

To get the error message you encountered, either the original file should be there as a backup or the edited version should be available in the same directory as a BC3*.tmp file. Can you confirm that one way or the other?
    If there was a .tmp file there at the time of the error, I did not see it. There is no .tmp file there now.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

FWIW, I agree with Michael on this. There's a "Compare Line Endings" setting; if it's set the user probably wants to copy line endings.
    Since there appears to be a difference of opinion on the Scooter team, I was wondering if this has been discussed further. I would appreciate it if the ability to copy/merge line endings be implemented when a user has the "Compare Line Endings" setting enabled...or at the very least, please add it to the customer wish list.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Hi Michael,

Here's my take on the line ending (LE) issue.

The implemented goals are:
    1) BC identifies each file's overall LE style (or mixed)
    2) BC lets you change a file's LE style, including "fixing" a mixed file
    3) BC helps you find where LE mismatches are

It was never a goal to let a user create a mixed LE file, and Eric's editor code does not support this. That's why individual LEs aren't copied or edited. While it would take substantial effort to change this, I am not adamantly opposed to adding this support in the long term.

I don't like the current "Compare Line Endings" feature. I do agree that given the current presentation (with an LE mismatch acting like a regular difference), it would be most logical to copy line endings, and that it seems silly that BC ignores the usual methods of resolving differences. I don't agree that we should simply change it so that "Compare Line Endings" automatically copies LEs. That would mean that BC could inadvertantly create mixed LE files when copying code changes.

Since any change won't be trivial, we will be studying the issue further and hopefully come up with a better implementation. I have some ideas that I'll share with the team once Eric is back from vacation.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Thanks Tim,

I understand not wanting to allow users to create mixed line endings in files that have fixed line endings. More to the point... I do not expect to be able to copy a different line ending to a file that does not already have mixed line endings.

However... when a file is identified as already having mixed line endings, I would like to be able to copy line endings to that file when the "Compare Line Endings" feature is active.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Tim, any further thought on this?

Again, while in agreement that BC3 should not allow a user to inadvertently create files with mixed line endings, it would be nice to be able to copy line endings to a file that already has mixed line endings, and only when the "Compare Line Endings" feature is enabled.

Wouldn't this combination give your product the best of both worlds? (stability for files without mixed line endings, and flexibility for files already containing mixed line endings)
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Default noob agrees with mike

Hi, I am brand new to BC and just registered here.

I ended up here via a (long) googling session looking for a good directory compare utility after getting frustrated with UltraCompare's inability to properly handle files with differing line terminations. I specifically need a tool that can nimbly handle text files with a variety of line termination issues (Unix-LF, Dos-CR-LF, OldMac-CR, and mixed).

I agree wholeheartedly with Michael's assessment. A CR-LF is different from a LF on a binary level, and on a text level (if you select the "Compare line endings" option in the Text Compare Session Settings dialog). A powerful file comparison utility such as BC should have a rich set of configuration options to handle any sort of modifications to line endings. And the manual needs to be a bit clearer on this issue - It took me quite a while to figure out how to get at the setting to get it to work as I need it. (I couldn't find the option when in folder compare mode - I had to be in a text file compare to even see the setting.)

I couldn't care less about BC's built-in editor which I won't be using anyway (I have other editors I use for editing). What I do need is essentially what you already have: a very slick file/directory compare utility. I am currently evaluating it and will likely be buying it very soon if it really does all it claims to do (bug free, that is ).

So far, I am very impressed with BC3!

Edit 2009-03-30: Evaluation over. Just purchased Pro version. +1 Happy customer!
    Last edited by ridgerunner; 30-Mar-2009 at 10:08 AM.