Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Line endings (Windows to Windows File Compare)

Copying a difference section to correct a line ending difference fails in a Windows to Windows text compare session. See screencast.

I consider this to be a defect. If this functionality is intentional, please provide an option or tweak to allow line ending differences to be copied from one side to the other... or to correct a line ending based on the folder type (Windows vs Linux) when a line is copied from one side to the other.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Even saving and reloading the files does not correct the line ending!
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

This is intentional. To change line endings, select File -> Save File As..., change the Line ending style and click Save.
    Erik Scooter Software

As I said, if this is intentional, please add an option to allow a copy of line endings. If a user goes through the motions of copying a diff section from one side to the other, and nothing changes, the save icon in the toolbar should not be enabled as if something has changed. It is misleading to the user!
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

In other words:

"Save As" is a useful way to set all line endings all at once. But it does not negate the need for a way to copy a diff section as one is working through a text compare session.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    If a user goes through the motions of copying a diff section from one side to the other, and nothing changes, the save icon in the toolbar should not be enabled as if something has changed. It is misleading to the user!
    If you copy a matching line to the other side, it will still be an edit even though nothing has changed. The behavior that is in place now prevents users from creating files with mixed line endings. Use the method I described to fix line endings. If for some odd reason you don't want to fix all endings, I'd suggest using a hex editor.
    Erik Scooter Software

FWIW, I agree with Michael on this. There's a "Compare Line Endings" setting; if it's set the user probably wants to copy line endings.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    FWIW, I agree with Michael on this. There's a "Compare Line Endings" setting; if it's set the user probably wants to copy line endings.
    Thanks Craig...

I do have Compare Line Endings enabled. That is why it showed up as a difference section.

Here is another reason why I would like the copy to work. I have a large file with one bad line ending. When I tried the "Save As..." method, I got an error. See screenshot. Had I been able to correct the problem with a simple copy of the difference section, then I would not have had to initiate a Save As operation on a huge file and then try to figure out why it failed.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Then, to make things worse, I changed the path on the right-hand side, and got an "Error Opening File" on the side on which I had attempted the "Save As..."! See screenshot.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

And finally, a "Compare Parent Folders in New View" shows that the file is GONE! This inability to copy line ending changes in a difference section has just turned into a DATA LOSS issue! See screenshot.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761