Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

We haven't done serious research on this yet, so I can't definitely say what we'll support. The initial release will probably be JPEG only, possibly with TIFF support, and EXIF only, possibly with IPTC support. Most maker tags will probably be exposed as raw binary data. We usually do read-only viewers before read-write ones.

The image, mp3, and version viewers all work with tag-like data, so we may eventually merge them in the user interface, but that would be a (very) long term project. Once initial EXIF support is added, other tags and file types would be done incrementally. Supporting GIF tags wouldn't help with Photoshop (.psd) tags, for example, and so any new format will depend on allocating time to write our own parsers or finding third-party libraries to do the parsing for us. I don't expect us to get anywhere near the coverage that exiftool does.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• metal450
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2013

Just curious, any updates on adding metadata comparison to the Picture Compare dialog? Five years on from the original posting/suggestion...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We currently still support the workaround File Format above, and we're reworking some of our Picture Compare support for BC4 to make it more extensible for features like this.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.2 beta is now available with support for JPEG/TIFF metadata comparison (EXIF and IPTC). To compare metadata, load images in the Picture Compare, then click the Meta toolbar button.

Beta page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Jānis
            Visitor
            • Mar 2011

Thank you for the info! Looks promising.

Two things I noticed. XMP metadata seems to be absent from the comparison window. It is used, for example, for marking face regions inside images and adding person tags.

Secondly, when I open files in the picture compare, I see both of them side by side and a third image below that represents the differences. If I then toggle the metadata window on, the left image disappears for some reason, only the right and the bottom one stay.

Update: oh, if I then resize the metadata pane a bit – click and drag the separator between the right and left pane –, all three images refreshes and appear again.
            Last edited by Jānis; 08-Mar-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. XMP metadata isn't part of the new Picture Compare, but is one of the metadata styles still on our wishlist.

Are you able to reproduce the left picture not appearing? If so, would it be possible to get a copy of your settings (Help menu -> Support; Export) and sample files emailed to [email protected]. Please also include a link to this forum thread in the email for our reference.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• clint
                New User
                • Apr 2018

Hi,
                The Picture Compare feature led me to upgrade from 2.0. I was hoping that my .jpg tags (as seen by Win10 Explorer, for example) could be compared. However, I didn't see it in the picture metadata section of Picture Compare. Picture Compare declares two of my photos equal even though they have different tags and fail binary comparisons. I was hoping this feature was in the latest...

My ultimate need is to avoid media bit-rot, by detecting image differences independently of tags or other metadata in comparisons between media and archives. I also need to manage photos by metadata tags, so comparing tags is super important.

Anything you can do to add this would be greatly appreciated. BC has really been there for me for a lot of other tasks. I'd love to be able to cross-check my photos and tags too. Thanks! -Clint

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. In the current version, a Binary scan would reveal if any embedded data has changed (to determine if the files are exact copies of each other). We don't support showing XMP tags in the Meta section (viewer/rules-based scan), but I'll add these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• clint
                    New User
                    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Aaron
                    Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. In the current version, a Binary scan would reveal if any embedded data has changed (to determine if the files are exact copies of each other). We don't support showing XMP tags in the Meta section (viewer/rules-based scan), but I'll add these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
                    Thanks for the quick reply Aaron, do you know of any comparison plugins that might work or any other workarounds that might allow me to compare tags?

With more and more people having to manage more and more digital photos (film's cheap after all), and tags being an incredibly useful way to organize them, I'm sure you can see the *huge* value in being able to compare tags. Round out Picture Compare a bit more with tag comparison, and BC will have a big draw to the photographer's market.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We do have a Text Compare conversion which displays more metadata information, EXIF Headers alternate format, here:
                      http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

Once installed, the Tools menu -> File Formats list: whichever format is higher in the list is the one used automatically, while the other can be triggered by opening the view first. I'd suggest moving the EXIF Headers format lower than Pictures Format, and when needed, launch a Text Compare first, and drag/drop your jpeg files onto it.

ExifTool (https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) from earlier in the thread could also be plugged in as an external conversion. We don't have a download ready, but will look into it. In the meantime, we have a general setup guide here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion

For improving our own Picture Comapre Meta tab, do you have any sample files you can submit to [email protected]? Include any identifying information, like which Headers you specifically want to see/compare, and which program you view them in currently and how. There's a fair amount of variance when it comes to some metadata, so concrete examples help.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've added both formats for download, here:
                        http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

Search for Picture Headers (jhead) or Picture Metadata (exiftool) (Platform: Windows) text formats. The newer format is Picture Metadata, and might expose more of the information you are looking for.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...