Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We are currently hosting the new additional file format for EXIF header information here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...kb_moreformats

The default associated files are (*.jfif, *.jpe, *.jpeg, *.jpg, *.thm), but you can edit the rule to include more if you are familiar with another compatible format. After downloading and installing the rule, try double clicking on a pair of files in a Folder Compare and see if the information displayed is what you expect.

The Folder Compare will compare by timestamp and size by default, but you can configure it to use a rules-based compare instead. A rules-based compare will use the file format associated with specific file types, as defined in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog. The topmost file format associated with the file type is the one used (same as when double clicking the files).

How does that work for you? Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default Integrate EXIF compare with Picture Compare

Thanks for adding the EXIF file format addin. However, I'd really like to see this integrated somehow into Picture Compare. The EXIF metadata and image are two aspects of the same file, and I'd like to be able to see differences in both without having to enable and disable the EXIF file format addin. Perhaps a button on the Picture Compare toolbar that would open a window with the EXIF comparison for the two images?

(You might also look at EXIFTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) to extract image metadata. It gave similar but not identical results to your JHead-based addin.)

Hello! Thanks for the EXIF file format add-in!

As jwells, I would also love to see this feature included into the Picture Compare view.

Thanks for the suggestions. The EXIF file format is just a temporary work around. Long term support for EXIF directly in Beyond Compare is on our wish list for a future release.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Question XMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. The EXIF file format is just a temporary work around. Long term support for EXIF directly in Beyond Compare is on our wish list for a future release.
    Will there be a more all-embracing image meta data compare as well? Other than the EXIF, there are often other tags added manually as well, as XMP data or as IPTC (an older format). This meta data is stored inside the image, just as EXIF is, and would have to be compared separately from the actual image data to get a good view of differences.

My wish is to be able to compare some of my images with the corresponding (the same) image files that another family member has on his computer. I would like to sync or manually put the same "name tags" on all photos, as well as titles and descriptions that we've added to the same scanned photos but individually on separate computers.

This link has some good explanations on the various metadata formats that can be found inside images (and other files): http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Thanks,
    Andreas

We haven't done serious research on this yet, so I can't definitely say what we'll support. The initial release will probably be JPEG only, possibly with TIFF support, and EXIF only, possibly with IPTC support. Most maker tags will probably be exposed as raw binary data. We usually do read-only viewers before read-write ones.

The image, mp3, and version viewers all work with tag-like data, so we may eventually merge them in the user interface, but that would be a (very) long term project. Once initial EXIF support is added, other tags and file types would be done incrementally. Supporting GIF tags wouldn't help with Photoshop (.psd) tags, for example, and so any new format will depend on allocating time to write our own parsers or finding third-party libraries to do the parsing for us. I don't expect us to get anywhere near the coverage that exiftool does.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Just curious, any updates on adding metadata comparison to the Picture Compare dialog? Five years on from the original posting/suggestion...

We currently still support the workaround File Format above, and we're reworking some of our Picture Compare support for BC4 to make it more extensible for features like this.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Beyond Compare 4.2 beta is now available with support for JPEG/TIFF metadata comparison (EXIF and IPTC). To compare metadata, load images in the Picture Compare, then click the Meta toolbar button.

Beta page: http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta
    Chris K Scooter Software

Thank you for the info! Looks promising.

Two things I noticed. XMP metadata seems to be absent from the comparison window. It is used, for example, for marking face regions inside images and adding person tags.

Secondly, when I open files in the picture compare, I see both of them side by side and a third image below that represents the differences. If I then toggle the metadata window on, the left image disappears for some reason, only the right and the bottom one stay.

Update: oh, if I then resize the metadata pane a bit – click and drag the separator between the right and left pane –, all three images refreshes and appear again.
    Last edited by Jānis; 08-Mar-2017 at 05:45 AM.