• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edpost
    New User
    • Nov 2008

Picture Metadata?

Hi all,

First of all, kudos to creating a fantastic piece of software. And an excellent support & user base behind it. I've been a big fan of BC for a long time.

On to my question. I am interested to know if there is support in comparing the metadata of pictures/images. I have a large library of digital photos, which I tag with image metadata. Now that there is an excellent picture compare view, I'd like to know if there will be support for comparing metadata.

Thanks!

Ed
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Ed,

Not currently. Are you referring to EXIF data in JPEGs, or some other metadata?
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• adearing
      Journeyman
      • Jan 2007

I would very much like to be able to include a comparison of EXIF data within the image comparison

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I've added this to our Customer Wishlist. If there is any other metadata types or resource information you think would be useful, please let us know.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• edpost
          New User
          • Nov 2008

Thanks

Yes I was referring to EXIF data. Any news on that status of this feature? Or is it still in the queue?

Thanks!

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hi Ed,

Sorry, comparison of EXIF data is still in the queue for a future release.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• inthewoods
              New User
              • Feb 2010

Rules to compare EXIF data in JPEG files

I've written a super-simple EXIF comparison tool that utilizes the freely available JHEAD program. The attached is for BC2 since I don't have BC3, but I'm sure it will be easy to convert.

Note that probably doesn't fully solve the problem that people want, but it is good enough for me. I set it to be the default rule for JPG files, but typically I will also open the files in the Picture view to compare the contents too.

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

inthewoods,

Thanks for sharing. My coworker Erik just converted the JHEAD rule into an additional file format for BC3. It will display EXIF information in the BC3 Text Compare. You can get it from:
                http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...kb_moreformats
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• inthewoods
                  New User
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Chris
                  inthewoods,

Thanks for sharing. My coworker Erik just converted the JHEAD rule into an additional file format for BC3. It will display EXIF information in the BC3 Text Compare. You can get it from:
                  Cool! I noticed that the Canon cameras use EXIF to store metadata in an external file for video, so you can add ".THM" to the list of file formats that can be compared with this rule.

Comment

• Andreas1974
                    New User
                    • Mar 2010

I have two folder with images. I know that they contain XMP data with face regions from Photo Gallery and titles etc, but also older descriptions in tag formats such as IPTC and/or EXIF.

I know that the images are the same, and that just metadata has been entered or altered. A more or less "complete" image metadata compare would be great!

At the moment I have no solution to comparing these two folders other than looking at the tags in the applications that created them and manually enter the missing tags into the image (using the latest program, storing as XMP, since XMP also includes support for face regions).

Best regards,
                    Andreas

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We are currently hosting the new additional file format for EXIF header information here:

The default associated files are (*.jfif, *.jpe, *.jpeg, *.jpg, *.thm), but you can edit the rule to include more if you are familiar with another compatible format. After downloading and installing the rule, try double clicking on a pair of files in a Folder Compare and see if the information displayed is what you expect.

The Folder Compare will compare by timestamp and size by default, but you can configure it to use a rules-based compare instead. A rules-based compare will use the file format associated with specific file types, as defined in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog. The topmost file format associated with the file type is the one used (same as when double clicking the files).

How does that work for you? Please let us know if you have any questions.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jwells
                        New User
                        • Mar 2011

Integrate EXIF compare with Picture Compare

Thanks for adding the EXIF file format addin. However, I'd really like to see this integrated somehow into Picture Compare. The EXIF metadata and image are two aspects of the same file, and I'd like to be able to see differences in both without having to enable and disable the EXIF file format addin. Perhaps a button on the Picture Compare toolbar that would open a window with the EXIF comparison for the two images?

(You might also look at EXIFTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) to extract image metadata. It gave similar but not identical results to your JHead-based addin.)

Comment

• Jānis
                          Visitor
                          • Mar 2011

Hello! Thanks for the EXIF file format add-in!

As jwells, I would also love to see this feature included into the Picture Compare view.

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. The EXIF file format is just a temporary work around. Long term support for EXIF directly in Beyond Compare is on our wish list for a future release.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Andreas1974
                              New User
                              • Mar 2010

XMP?

Originally posted by Chris
                              Thanks for the suggestions. The EXIF file format is just a temporary work around. Long term support for EXIF directly in Beyond Compare is on our wish list for a future release.
                              Will there be a more all-embracing image meta data compare as well? Other than the EXIF, there are often other tags added manually as well, as XMP data or as IPTC (an older format). This meta data is stored inside the image, just as EXIF is, and would have to be compared separately from the actual image data to get a good view of differences.

My wish is to be able to compare some of my images with the corresponding (the same) image files that another family member has on his computer. I would like to sync or manually put the same "name tags" on all photos, as well as titles and descriptions that we've added to the same scanned photos but individually on separate computers.

This link has some good explanations on the various metadata formats that can be found inside images (and other files): http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Thanks,
                              Andreas

Comment

Working...