Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks for the report. XMP metadata isn't part of the new Picture Compare, but is one of the metadata styles still on our wishlist.

Are you able to reproduce the left picture not appearing? If so, would it be possible to get a copy of your settings (Help menu -> Support; Export) and sample files emailed to support@scootersoftware.com. Please also include a link to this forum thread in the email for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi,
    The Picture Compare feature led me to upgrade from 2.0. I was hoping that my .jpg tags (as seen by Win10 Explorer, for example) could be compared. However, I didn't see it in the picture metadata section of Picture Compare. Picture Compare declares two of my photos equal even though they have different tags and fail binary comparisons. I was hoping this feature was in the latest...

My ultimate need is to avoid media bit-rot, by detecting image differences independently of tags or other metadata in comparisons between media and archives. I also need to manage photos by metadata tags, so comparing tags is super important.

Anything you can do to add this would be greatly appreciated. BC has really been there for me for a lot of other tasks. I'd love to be able to cross-check my photos and tags too. Thanks! -Clint

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. In the current version, a Binary scan would reveal if any embedded data has changed (to determine if the files are exact copies of each other). We don't support showing XMP tags in the Meta section (viewer/rules-based scan), but I'll add these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. In the current version, a Binary scan would reveal if any embedded data has changed (to determine if the files are exact copies of each other). We don't support showing XMP tags in the Meta section (viewer/rules-based scan), but I'll add these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
    Thanks for the quick reply Aaron, do you know of any comparison plugins that might work or any other workarounds that might allow me to compare tags?

With more and more people having to manage more and more digital photos (film's cheap after all), and tags being an incredibly useful way to organize them, I'm sure you can see the *huge* value in being able to compare tags. Round out Picture Compare a bit more with tag comparison, and BC will have a big draw to the photographer's market.

We do have a Text Compare conversion which displays more metadata information, EXIF Headers alternate format, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

Once installed, the Tools menu -> File Formats list: whichever format is higher in the list is the one used automatically, while the other can be triggered by opening the view first. I'd suggest moving the EXIF Headers format lower than Pictures Format, and when needed, launch a Text Compare first, and drag/drop your jpeg files onto it.

ExifTool (https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) from earlier in the thread could also be plugged in as an external conversion. We don't have a download ready, but will look into it. In the meantime, we have a general setup guide here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion

For improving our own Picture Comapre Meta tab, do you have any sample files you can submit to support@scootersoftware.com? Include any identifying information, like which Headers you specifically want to see/compare, and which program you view them in currently and how. There's a fair amount of variance when it comes to some metadata, so concrete examples help.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hello,

We've added both formats for download, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

Search for Picture Headers (jhead) or Picture Metadata (exiftool) (Platform: Windows) text formats. The newer format is Picture Metadata, and might expose more of the information you are looking for.
    Aaron P Scooter Software