X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misi01
    Old Hand
    • Jun 2005

Cannot edit file

I'm sure this is a trivial problem, but I've searched in the online help and the results kinda presuppose that the question here isn't a problem. I'm editing 2 files, both of which I have access to in the normal manner (i.e. I can edit them in notepad etc).

Trouble is, when I compare them using BC2, any "edit" menu options are disabled as shown in the attached screen capture.

What am I doing wrong ('cos I'm sure it's my fault)
    Last edited by misi01; 09-Apr-2010, 01:28 AM.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

This can be caused by a few different issues:
    1. You're comparing files whose file formats don't allow editing. That includes the "MS Word" and "PDF" formats, plus a few of the downloadable ones.
    2. You've passed /readonly or /ro on the command line.
    3. You have "Disable editing" checked in the "Session Settings" dialog, for either the text compare or the directory compare it came from.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• misi01
      Old Hand
      • Jun 2005

Thanks Craig

Since the code is simple txt files and I'm NOT running it as a batch program, I'm going to go with the 3rd option. Will test it on monday at work.

Comment

• misi01
        Old Hand
        • Jun 2005

The "problem" was

the fact that my rules for txt files had "Remove Rich Text Formatting " marked, and as the online help states
        This improves visual comparisons, but since information is lost during the conversion, editing is disabled
        Thanks

Comment

Working...