X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanGo
    Visitor
    • Dec 2007

right click menu missing...

Hi Since installing the BC3 version (and uninstalling cirrus) I've lost the right click menu in explorer. I seem to remember an advanced settings in the cirrus installer for enabling this but I don't see it in the BC3 installer.

This is the primary way I launch BC and would hate to lose this functionallity.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The update instructions should have asked you to uninstall Cirrus first, but it doesn't. The Cirrus uninstaller removes the shell extension registry entries; just enable it in the BC3 Options dialog again and it should reappear.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hi Dan,

You can try turning on the shell extension from BC3's options.

Select Tools|Options.
      In the Startup section, check "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu".

Please let me know if this doesn't make the shell extension show up on your computer.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
        Veteran
        • Dec 2007

I ran into the same problem.

I installed BC3 build 453 on WinXP. On the first launch, I selected to import the Cirrus settings (which worked). Then I uninstalled Cirrus (build 449).

The Compare item won't show up in the context menus.

I've tried cycling the setting in Tools >> Options, and rebooting, with no effect.

Are there registry items I should check?

Comment

• Dave_L
          Veteran
          • Dec 2007

I still have BC 2.5.2 installed. If I enable its setting for Explorer context menus, the Windows registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/BCShellEx is added.

But BC3 doesn't place a key there.

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

BC3 still writes to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/CirrusShellEx. We were planning on removing the duplication but got some negative feedback about it.

Frankly the easiest and quickest way to solve this will probably be to just uninstall and reinstall BC3. It won't remove your settings or anything, so it should come back unchanged.
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
              Veteran
              • Dec 2007

I just uninstalled and reinstalled BC3, rebooting afterwards each time. The context menu items are still absent, and so is the registry key.
              Last edited by Dave_L; 24-Apr-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Dave_L
                Veteran
                • Dec 2007

Any ideas on this? Is there a way I can manually restore the context menu?

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

The attached zip has a .reg file that removes any trace of the beta shell extension from the registry. Try importing it, restarting BC3, and enabling it in the Options dialog.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave_L
                    Veteran
                    • Dec 2007

Thanks, that fixed it.

Comment

• RunnerBiker
                      Expert
                      • Feb 2008

Thanks Craig. I waited until this was finally resolved to uninstall Cirrus, since I almost always start BC with the Explorer Context menu option.

This morning, I uninstalled Cirrus, applied the registry fix and re-enabled the Context menu with Tools => Options.

I'm a happy camper again. Thanks.

Comment

• dwochna
                        New User
                        • Oct 2013

More Right Click Menu Missing

I am not able to get the context menus for BC 3.0 with WIN 7 64 bit. I don't understand what Cirrus is, is it a program that should be deletable under Programs and Features?

I have installed and uninstalled multiple times requesting the install for all and all 3 options (context window, start menu, desktop). If I look at tools\option dialog box the "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu" is checked and Compare is on Main Menu.

When I run ShellExView I do not see any entries for BC 3.0.

I imported the script given in an earlier post into my registry but still no dice.

When my computer was running XP this used to work for me but since I was upgraded to Win 7 the context menus do not work.

Do you have any advice for what I should try next?

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Make sure you're using the installer from our website for the current version 3.3.8. Some of our customers repackage Beyond Compare into their own installer. Sometimes this breaks the shell extension if they don't do it right.

If that still doesn't fix the problem, other programs shell extensions can conflict with Beyond Compare's shell extension. You can use ShellExView to toggle shell extensions on/off to see if one is conflicting with BC. You can skip testing shell extensions made by Microsoft because many are part of Windows and don't cause problems.

You can download ShellExView here:
                          http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

In addition to Chris' comments, if you are still having trouble, please email us at [email protected] and include a link to this forum thread in the email.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sylvain
                              New User
                              • Jun 2018

Hello,

i've the same problem. Where can i found the attached zip ?

KR,

Comment

Working...