Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hello,

Did you happen to find and read this forum post:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...read.php?t=139

Do you have the proper version of .Net installed for the msscci? Which versions of Visual Studio/TFS are you running? Under what OS?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

Did you happen to find and read this forum post:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...read.php?t=139

Do you have the proper version of .Net installed for the msscci? Which versions of Visual Studio/TFS are you running? Under what OS?
    no i hadn't seen that post.

Keep in mind i don't have any problems w/ getting bc3 to execute from visual studio, that integration is working fine. It's the integration allowing bc3 to check out files from w/in itself when i make changes to one during a compare/merge. Enabling that gets me this error msg, disabling it makes it go away.

I am running on Windows7 now which, from what i've been seeing, doesn't cause things to behave that much more different than Vista - i will try the 2008 scci on Monday and update this thread. Thanks for the link.

I decided to retest the source control integration with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server due to the problems reported in this thread... and due to the fact that I wanted to test the Source Control Integration in a cross-domain scenario.

1. In BC3 I opened Tools \ Source Control Integration...
    2. Under the "Enter path to add a new association" text box I entered the Local Folder exactly as defined under one of my defined Workspaces in Visual Studio Source Control Explorer.
    3. I was prompted for and specified which Team Foundation Server to use since I have two defined under the Tools \ Connect to Team Foundation Server... option in Visual Studio (one 2005 TFS Server and one 2008 TFS Server). If you are not prompted, you can click the Configure... button on the BC3 Source Control Explorer dialog to trigger the functionality.
    4. The Team Foundation Server I specified is on another domain with a one-way trust (the domain that TFS Server is on trusts the domain that my current windows login is on, but not visa versa). I was prompted for and entered the password of my alternate credentials on the other domain.
    5. After completing the setup of my Source Control Integration, I launched a compare of two files under source control from a BC3 folder compare session and merged a line of code from one file into the other.
    6. I launched a compare of two files under source control from a BC3 folder compare session and merged a line of code from one file into the other.
    7. I returned to the folder compare session and used the Source Control context menu to Check Out... the file that I changed.
    8. I used the Source Control context menu to Check In... the file that I changed. This launched a dialog that prompted me for comments, which were then passed on to a spawned check-in dialog from Visual Studio.

Note: I had the latest version of the file that I changed, checked out, then checked in. I did not attempt to check-out an older version of a file, so I cannot speak to what would happen in that scenario. That being said, I did not experience any errors during any step of my test.

Observations for the Scooter Team:
    1. While playing around with the Source Control Integration, I did experience some occasional slowness and painting issues that was related to BC3 waiting for a response from the cross-domain TFS Server. I did not consider this to be an error.
    2. If I opened the Source Control context menu immediately after checking out a file, the "Check Out..." option was still enabled, and the "Check In..." and "Undo Check Out" options were still disabled. Closing the context menu and opening it again caused the options to be updated to reflect the true status of the file. Again, I did not consider this to be an error...just a timing issue with room for improvement. In my opinion, if a user has checked out a file, BC3 should update the status immediately or disable all options (including the Check Out option) until it has verified the new status of the file.
    3. I have more than one workspace defined in Visual Studio Source Control Explorer. If I define multiple entries in the BC3 Source Control Integration (one for each defined workspace) then BC3 only manages one of the workspaces per session. In other words if I compare two folders, each under a different source control workspace, the source control context menu only comes up for one side of the compare even though both sides are under source control. I've reported this issue before. It would be nice if BC3 had the ability to switch workspaces on-the-fly. In other words, if the user activates a folder compare pane that points to a different folder under Source Control Integration (i.e. a path under a different Source Control association but using the same TFS server) BC3 should disconnect from the TFS server then reconnect to activate the integration for the new workspace. Note that workspaces cannot overlap...so no local folder will ever fall under two different TFS workspaces.

Feedback to bc3tech

Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
    ...we configure Source Control Integration within BC such that when you make a change to a file under your source control root on the local hard drive, an automatic checkout can be done.
    How are you performing this configuration? I've never configured BC3 to automatically check out a file when it changes...nor have I seen an obvious option to do so...is this really a BC3 configuration, or a Visual Studio configuration? Perhaps this is the key to why you are experiencing an error, and I am not...???

Scooter: What is the "Display silent check out command in menus" option on the Source Control Integration dialog? When and how should it be used?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    ...if the user activates a folder compare pane that points to a different folder under Source Control Integration (i.e. a path under a different Source Control association but using the same TFS server) BC3 should disconnect from the TFS server then reconnect to activate the integration for the new workspace...
    Admittedly, automatically disconnecting from and re-connecting to a TFS server when a user changes panes might be time consuming and potentially annoying if a user is not changing panes for the purpose of performing source-control activity against another workspace... so another idea is to show the Source Control context menu under the other side with a single sub-item:
    Activate Source Control Workspace
    This would let the user control which workspace should be active for that session and switch between them at will (as can be done in Visual Studio Source Control Explorer).

Again, the way to determine if a TFS workpace needs to change is to compare the path of the new folder compare pane with the paths defined under the BC3 Source Control Integration dialog. If the base folder falls under a different association, then that pane is out of context with the currently active TFS workspace. BC3 must reconnect to TFS to activate the workspace associated with the new folder compare pane before the user can perform any source control activity from the context menu.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
    anybody noticed they are getting the attached error now?
    The Error and Event Messages in Team Foundation documentation shows your reported error to be a Team Foundation Server error message:

TF30073: The string must have at least one character.

Please verify if you get this error when doing source control activity from a Beyond Compare 3 folder compare session, from Visual Studio 2008 Source Control Explorer, or in some other way.

Also, if you are not aware of it, the Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server Power Tools now include TFS Windows Shell Extensions that allow you to perform source control activity from the Windows Explorer context menu. Please note that the TFS Windows Shell Extensions are not installed by default. Choose Custom when prompted at installation to add the tool to the installed components.

I do not have the TFS Windows Shell Extensions enabled on my system. I do not know if enabling them will affect the Beyond Compare 3 Source Control Integration, but thought you might be interested in the availablility of this option.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Default Steps

I start beyond compare, and go to the SCI options area. Then I add my Source control project mapping, see "ss1.jpg" and "ss2.jpg"

then i do a comparison w/ files under my source control tree. I am prompted to connect to a TFS server the first time, see "ss3.jpg"
    and then am immediately greeted w/ the problem addressed by this thread, see "ss4.jpg," on each and every comparison involving a file under the source tree from here on out

If i disable SCI, i am able to compare the same files w/ no error prompts.

If indeed this is an error thrown to us by TFS, then I am curious as to what's causing it. Our entire development team has no source control issues w/ either VS.net 2005, 2008, 2010, or the TFS powertools shell extension. BC is the only one that exhibits this behavior.
    Last edited by bc3tech; 24-Jun-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Is it a conflict between BC3 integration and the TFS Windows Shell Extensions? Have you tested it on a system that does not have the TFS Windows Shell Extensions in place?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    Is it a conflict between BC3 integration and the TFS Windows Shell Extensions? Have you tested it on a system that does not have the TFS Windows Shell Extensions in place?
    uninstalled shell extensions, re-set up BC3, same thing happens.

Hello,

Can you create and email your BCSupport package (Help menu -> Support; Export) to support@scootersoftware.com

Please include a link to this forum post, and make sure the Support package includes your BCPrefs.xml. If it does not include the BCPrefs.xml you should be able to manually get it by going to the Help menu -> Support; click the blue link to Explore your settings folder, then grab it from there.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

has this issue been resolved as I also get the error message

"The string must have at least one character.
    Parameter name: name"

every time, after a (hidden under VS) popup asking for my TFS server.