• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • larryvega
    New User
    • Aug 2008

Compare folders disregarding file names

How do you do the following:

Compare 2 folders to find files with identical CONTENTS disregarding the file names.
    So that all identical files in one folder (with subfolders) will be shown together AND lined up with the same identical files in the other folder (with subfolders). Not giving a hoot about what the files names are in the comparison process. So comparison is either done by byte-to-byte comparison or checksum comparison.

I can't get the program to line up identical files when the file names differ.
  • BHarney
    Visitor
    • May 2005

In BC2, while in the folder comparison view, try clicking on the Size bar at the top of either pane (left or right). This will sort the files by Size.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

There is no way to align files based on content only...but it is on the wish list, so it may be implemented in a future release. I recommend that you right-click on the column headers and add the CRC column. Although they won't align with each other, two files that have identical contents but different file names will have the same CRC, so it should be easier to identify them.

Unfortunately, sorting by the CRC column does not work very well. I'll open another thread to track that issue.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• maurice
        Enthusiast
        • Jan 2008

BC3 needs some basis for associating the file via the filenames. If the filenames have some common element then you can use an "Alignment Override" rule.

See the help file (2nd entry under the Index) for usage and examples.

My understanding is that since this is associated with the folder view (list of files), the control is located in the Session Settings screen.

So, from an Folder Compare window, click the Referee or...Session menu > Session Settings.
        then, > Misc Tab
        > New
        > add rules for left and right file names.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Yes, I've used alignment overrides on numerous occasions. I believe the original poster wanted to align files with the same content when filenames are unknown (or do not share a common element). The only way to do that is to compare the CRC columns then manually align files with the same CRC.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• KenJacobs
            New User
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
            There is no way to align files based on content only...but it is on the wish list, so it may be implemented in a future release. I recommend that you right-click on the column headers and add the CRC column. Although they won't align with each other, two files that have identical contents but different file names will have the same CRC, so it should be easier to identify them.

Unfortunately, sorting by the CRC column does not work very well. I'll open another thread to track that issue.
            I'm a new (and very happy and very impressed) user of BC3. The functionality and the user interface are excellent, and the product is reliable and fast. Thanks for creating such a nice tool.

I second the motion for this request ... I want to do exactly the same thing. I also tried the CRC idea and as you say, it does not work well.

If you do implement this sort of mechanism, aligning (multiple) files of the same content, an obvious "Action" would be "delete or move duplicates", leaving only one copy of the file in the folder.

Thanks.

Ken

Comment

• JohnFLand
              Expert
              • Jun 2008

There are a number of duplicate file finding programs around the net that can find all duplicates (regardless of name or number) within specified directories. Since that functionality exists, no one has to wait until BC3 (or BC4) includes it.

Comment

• KenJacobs
                New User
                • Nov 2008

Indeed, there are some reasonable duplicate finders out there. They vary considerably in ease of use, functionality and performance. (The one I'm using is Easy Duplicate Finder, http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/.) It's reasonably easy to use and seems faster than most such tools I've found.

The problem is that having a list of duplicate files in a separate program is awkward. I didn't find a reasonable tool that finds duplicates and provides the range of options BC3 does for moving, or deleting or copying them, etc.

BC3 gives me almost everything I need for comparing and dealing with files that may or may not be identical. It includes the ability to do a binary compare of sets of files, but doesn't make it quite easy enough to operate on files that happen to have different names but the same content.

A "small" additional feature would eliminate the need for yet another utility and would substantially improve my productivity.

Comment

• boarders paradise
                  Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BHarney
                  In BC2, while in the folder comparison view, try clicking on the Size bar at the top of either pane (left or right). This will sort the files by Size.
                  Excellent idea. After sorting by size, the files are in the same order left and right. Unfortunately they are not matched by the program, meaning that they are on alternating lines (not on the same ones) and still displayed as orphans ...

So from my tests, it didn't solve this:

Originally posted by larryvega
                  I can't get the program to line up identical files when the file names differ.
                  Or can it ?

Comment

• boarders paradise
                    Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JohnFLand
                    There are a number of duplicate file finding programs around the net that can find all duplicates (regardless of name or number) within specified directories. Since that functionality exists, no one has to wait until BC3 (or BC4) includes it.
                    Yes, but the point is, they only *find* duplicates, but lack all the cool comparison functions that BC offers ... !

Comment

• boarders paradise
                      Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by boarders paradise
                      Yes, but the point is, they only *find* duplicates, but lack all the cool comparison functions that BC offers ... !
                      .... plus you can find "rule-based duplicates", whereas most other programs can only find binary ones.

Comment

• boarders paradise
                        Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by maurice
                        If the filenames have some common element then you can use an "Alignment Override" rule.
                        I believe the original poster wanted to align files with the same content when filenames are unknown (or do not share a common element).
                        From my understanding, even when a "common element" shared, that's not even enough. For instance take two folders with mp3 files. Let's say they all start with 01, 02, 03, etc. followed by band name and track title. (for example: 01 - Herbie Hancock - some song.mp3)

Let's further assume that track titles are spelled differently in the two folders.

So there ARE common elements:
                        1) track number
                        2) dashes (-)
                        2) Herbie Hancock
                        3) .mp3

And you still won't be able to align anything!

See: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5035

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Oct 2007

From my understanding, even when a "common element" shared, that's not even enough.
                          The quotes you listed are referring to a common way in which each track on one side differs from each track on the other. If you can write a Regular Expression that consistently equates the names of files on one side with the names of the files on the other, then you can align the files.

In other words, if you cannot take the filenames on one side and alter them with a common regular expression to make them equal the names on the other side, then the alignment will fail. BC3 does not permit you to simply ignore portions of the filenames on both sides and equate what is left.
                          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• boarders paradise
                            Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2008

BC3 does not permit you to simply ignore portions of the filenames on both sides and equate what is left.
                            ... which is consistent with and does not contradict what I said:

From my understanding, even when a "common element" is shared, that's not enough.
                            or isn't it ?

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

My answer in http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5035 is still our current functionality. Our alignment overrides are not intended to find duplicates, but to help align when the difference in the name is known and defined.

In your example, it is not the difference, but the similarity that is known. Unfortunately that is not how the alignment works.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...