Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Comments for the Build 452 changelog

Hi!

Here are my comments for the Build 452 changelog:

-------------------------------
    15-April-2008 Build 452 release
    -------------------------------

- Notable Changes
    - Trial mode and registration key support added.

Now a nag-screen appears during startup once a day displaying the remaining days? Hmmpf, a little bit annoying (especially for first-time-beta-testers) ...

- File Formats
    - Reduced built-in file format list and added a link to download new ones
    from the website.

Gnaaagnnnaaa ...
    Bash scripts, Microsoft Excel worksheets and Open Office documents are used quite often on my PC, Cobol, Delphi and Visual Basic almost never.
    I don't know the backgrund for this decision, but why excluding those features by default?? This was IMHO a step backward, it hides the power of BC3 to new users.

- Folder Compare
    - Fixed Start/Cancel buttons not showing in Unix Attributes dialog.

Thanks ;-)

- Linux
    - Added help in HTML format.

Looks great!
    BTW: No problems installing the build 452 *.rpm on openSuSE 10.3

- Misc
    - Changed shell extension icons.

Hmmpfff, it's always a matter of taste, but I don't like the new ones.
    My favourites were the Cirrus icons with a little bit of green in the whirl.

That's all for now, I'm looking forward to the upcoming builds ...

Bye
    Christoph

Hi Christoph,

Quote Originally Posted by chrroe View Post
    Now a nag-screen appears during startup once a day displaying the remaining days?
    I hope you're not suggesting we should just not beta test the trial mode support until we send out the final release... It will be possible to get real registration keys soon, and if it really bothers someone we can work something out earlier than that. It is just once a day too, and doesn't show up the first day, so hopefully new testers won't be too put off by it.

Bash scripts, Microsoft Excel worksheets and Open Office documents are used quite often on my PC, Cobol, Delphi and Visual Basic almost never.
    We want to keep the file format list from being too overwhelming, so we took out some that we considered less universal. We are looking into ways to make the default list for Linux and Windows different, in which case the Linux build would re-gain Bash and (probably) Open Office and would remove the Batch Files and Registry Dump ones.

As for the "Microsoft Excel" one, we had two in previously, one associated with the data comparison and one with the text comparison, so we just removed the text comparison one to promote the data viewer.

Hmmpfff, it's always a matter of taste, but I don't like the new [shell extension icons].
    If you have any icon ideas of your own you're welcome to send them in. Personally I liked BC2's the best, but Tim's trying to avoid making them look to similar to avoid confusion if both versions are installed. I think the "green" you're referring to was actually the '3' we had overlayed on the BC2 arrows.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

I like the new icon, except that it's much darker than the BC2 one. Maybe it's just my monitor, but I think it'd look better with just a hair more "gamma".

BTW, Synchronize to (left/right) is still coming, right? The new official name and registration/trial dialog implies to me that it's about to become a release candidate. Am I being a bit premature?

Aside from some possible interface tweaks the synchronize commands are done. The full directory syncs is in as the sync session, and synchronizing a selection is included as Mirror/Update Left/Right. They're in the Actions->Synchronize submenu by default, and can be added to the toolbars using the Tools->Configure Commands (or something similar) menu option.

We're aiming for a July release. We just wanted to get the official name change and the registration code in before we released to the public.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If you have any icon ideas of your own you're welcome to send them in.
    My contribution...
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

The nag screen is annoying. I have gone from registered BC2 (which I uninstalled, as Cirrus was doing everything BC2 and, and plenty more) and nagfree Cirrus to a naggy BC3.

I appreciate that it's all part of beta testing, but I also think it's annoyance. I would have appreciated being warned about it, as I may have reconsidered moving from a dual Cirrus/BC2 setup to sole BC3 beta.

As a suggestion, how about allowing BC2 registration keys during the beta phase? Then simply change the key at a late stage.

Would that not solve this one? or give us BC3 keys :-)
    Last edited by mgillespie; 18-Apr-2008 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    My contribution...
    By the way, I do like the icons that Tim used in build 452.

I just thought I would submit an idea that uses a slightly raised look (using highlights on the upper-left edges, and shading on the lower-right edges of the arrows). But I think I still like Tim's better.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    hopefully new testers won't be too put off by it.
    I certainly don't consider a once-a-day dialog to be a nag screen. A reminder, perhaps, but not a nag. True nags come up every time you run a program...the really bad ones interrupt program functionality by nagging you multiple times in the middle of your work! I think BC3 trial mode reminder is reasonable for the beta.

I don't know what triggers the trial reminder...but I would suggest that it only display the first time (daily) that BC3 is not launched via command line parameters. In other words, the only time I would be annoyed by such a reminder is if it interfered with an integrated version control operation.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

One idea is to display the reminder with ever-increasing frequency:

First reminder: 7 days after installation
    2nd reminder: 6 days later
    3rd reminder: 5 days later
    4th reminder: 4 days later
    5th reminder: 3 days later
    6th reminder: 2 days later
    Subsequent reminders: once daily.

This would mean that the daily trial-mode reminders do not begin until the trial installation is 28-days old.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

re: the nag, welcome to Beta testing. That means testing everything. Once a day is not that big a hassle.

I like Michaels idea, I've encountered something similar before. Sort of gives you a free run for a while then the reminders kick in.