Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missing difference icons on folders

After doing a folder compare Im not seeing any icon indicating that files contained deep inside other folders are different. That is I have folder A, B and C with a file in folder C. Folder C is in folder B and folder B is in folder A. If I have two directory structures like this and I compare them and file the file in folder C is different shouldnt I see a red icon next to folder A when it is collapsed?

Some info: I am using the demo version of Beyond Compare 3, so this might be a feature that is turned off in the demo?

Ive used Beyond Compare 2 at work and Ive always seen the icons next to folders if files in those folders are different. Is there a setting somewhere Im missing?

Thanks for any ideas or help!

Hi Adam,

You're mistaken about how BC2 works. Neither it or BC3 display anything in the center column of folders. If a folder has a difference within it it should be colored red to show that.
    Zo P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    I’ve used Beyond Compare 2 at work and I’ve always seen the icons next to folders if files in those folders are different. Is there a setting somewhere I’m missing?
    I expect that you have BC2 set to do a binary comparison rather than a date/time/size comparison. To do the same thing in BC3, open a folder compare session, open the session settings (referee button on the toolbar) and select the Compare Contents check box and the Binary comparison option. If you want BC3 to always perform binary comparisons, choose the "Also update session defaults" in the dropdown at the bottom of the dialog and click OK to save your changes.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Thank you both for your help. Craig, you are correct, I mispoke. I do not see icons next to the folders. Actually what I seen in BC2 was the actual icon of the folder changed to red or red and blue. This indicated to me that some file inside the folder was not the same (left vs. right sides)

Michael, I followed the procedure you have outlined, to make my default comprare a binary compary. Once I do a full scan of all the files (using the =? button) the folders are still staying the default yellow color. If I change the view to view only changes (using the red = with a slash through it) Only the folders with different files (left vs. right) do indeed show up, but still only as the default yellow color.

I hope I have explained the issue better. Sorry for the lack of proper communications before.

If there is anyway I can upload a screenshot (a picture is worth a 1000 words right?) I'd love to do that.

If your folders are staying yellow, that means they are not being scanned automatically. In the Session Settings, select the Handling tab and enable Automatically scan subfolders in background.

Does that help?
    Tim T Scooter Software

You might have disabled folder coloring too. There's a setting to do so in the Folder Compare section of the Options dialog. If it's unchecked the folders stay yellow even if they're fully compared.
    Zo P Scooter Software

ahhhhh that was it! There was a setting in Options->Folder-Views->Display named "Color Folders to reflect contents" It was off! I checked it and the app is working perfectly now!

Although there is no way to know now, I sware I didn't uncheck that. It leads me to believe it's off by default? Well no matter, I'm glad it's solved.

Thank you all so much for the help.

I'm not sure how that setting got changed on your system. It is not default. I've never seen it on my system.

By the way, be aware that the binary compare will slow down your initial scans. If you don't have a need for it, you may want to revert BC3 back to Quick tests.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Dear All,

I'm using version 3.0.7 build 9037 and folders with different content stay yellow, even if I applied all the tricks suggested above (see screenshot).

I'm sure I must be missing something... any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Corrado Fiore