X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

/favorright ... I am confused!

I've launched a 3-way merge session with the following command line parameters:

/automerge /nobackups /favorright /reviewconflicts

The GUI opens with conflicts (see screenshot).

Okay, I understand why the left side took (it was the only side that changed). However, case is not important in this format type...and it would be nice to be able to maintain the case of the "favored" side.

The same thing goes for whitespace. In the variable declarations, the whitespace is messed up on the left side. It was adopted into the merge because it was the only change from the common ancestor. However, for whitespace only changes, it would be nice to be able to maintain the whitespace from the favored side.

For the dashed divider line in the modlog, however, I don't understand why the center is "taken" in the merge output when I've asked BComp to /favorright. I expect the merge conflicts to open in the GUI with the favored side in the output pane. Was this runtime parameter not passed on to BCompare when the failed merge was loaded into the GUI?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Scooter,

The "Case" and "Whitespace" ideas in my above posts are just "would be nice if..." comments. I don't really expect them to be implemented, because they deviate somewhat from traditional 3-way merge logic (allowing a subsequent change to undo a previous "unimportant" change).

However, the last paragraph is a real issue that, I believe, needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 07-Aug-2008, 04:09 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...