X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConorD
    New User
    • Jul 2015

Hi,
    Thanks for the 64 bit reg file on the previous page. It fixed it for me (BC 3.2.4 on windows 7 64bit). I just had to alter the two lines referencing the install folder, as I've installed to a different location.
    Best Regards,
    Conor

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

Of note, all BC3.x updates are free for 3.x users. If you want to update to 3.3.13 from our download page or using the Help menu -> Check for Updates, it is available to you.

If you are using a 64bit OS, you may be interested in BC4, where 4.1 (currently in beta) will have a 64bit build for Windows and Linux.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• storm33229
        New User
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Zoë
        Here's a .reg file that should forcibly create all of the values you need for both the 64-bit and 32-bit shell extensions. It's set up for the default 64-bit Windows install, so you'll need to change paths if you installed outside "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3".
        I'm on Windows 10. This does not work for me.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

We're also running several Windows 10 machines in office. Are you applying this patch for a BC3 or BC4 installation? And the latest minor version?

After adding you will also likely need to reboot to let Windows apply any changes to the shell extension. If you are still having trouble, please email in to [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread, including your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• HMD
            New User
            • Jul 2016

I'm having the exact same issue on a customers computer. Can I get a copy of the reg fix please?

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

You will need to email in for the registry patch. Please include which version of Beyond Compare you are using, and which Windows, 32bit or 64bit.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• d1saster
                New User
                • Aug 2016

I have BC v4. and clean, just installed Windows 8.1x64. Shell extension not working for me.
                Earlier Windows 7x64 with the same soft works fine.
                What should I do?

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can try uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstall and reboot. Rebooting is important as shell extension changes can only be applied between Windows restarts. Otherwise, you will need to email support@scootersoftware (with a link back to this forum thread) letting us know the OS (Win8.1 64bit) and version of BC4 (4.1.8?)
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• d1saster
                    New User
                    • Aug 2016

I've managed the situation.
                    The problem was in installer and version it install.
                    Thanks.

Comment

• joelim
                      New User
                      • Sep 2016

Hi Aaron, can you please send me the x64 and x86 reg file for the right click issue? Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You would need to email us as mentioned above with the information mentioned in my last post.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bmellesmoen
                          New User
                          • Oct 2016

Missing Windows Context Menus Items

I too have this issue and there is definitely something wrong BC4. My system’s OS is Windows 10 Anniversary x64 with all of the latest updates. Using the latest BC4 exe installer BCompare-4.1.9.21719.exe it doesn't properly initialize Explore context menus, i.e. they're missing. Though if you instead use the alternative MSI installer, BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi, the explorer context menu’s do appear and are functional. You definitely tell a difference between the two installers as the “Program and Features” app shows “Beyond Compare 4” as the installed app after installing from the BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi installer. While the BCompare-4.1.9.21719.exe installer shows BC as being installed as “Beyond Compare 4.1.9”. Not sure why the difference but the “.msi” works while the “.exe” is definitely broken. I believe this issues exist with previous BC4 version as well.

One would expect both the “.exe” and “.msi” installers to be identical but that isn’t the case. One one thing the “.msi” doesn’t ask a single question during install but the “.exe.” does. Something is most definitely broken here with BC4 as this same issues is reproducibly on all multiple systems.

[IMG]http:/www.mellesmoen.com/Beyond_Compare_4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/www.mellesmoen.com/Beyond_Compare_4.1.9.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

The issue is widely reported but has not reproduced on any of our test systems and generally only effects some users that have BC4 already installed and then performs an OS update (Win7 -> 8, or apply a service pack). It's possible to hit with a fresh BC4 install but this is much rarer.

It seems to be related to writing to the registry (required for a Windows Shell Extension to work), and different installers might be elevated differently depending on your user, etc. We have a debug program that can show us a snippet of your registry in the bad state, which can help us troubleshoot what the installer failed to initialize with no reported error. If emailed, we would have been able to provide this debug utility before you fixed it with the MSI or applied our .reg patch which manually fixes the issue.

If any users are hitting this, please email us at [email protected] and we can collect the necessary debug information. If you don't have time to help us fix this bug, we can also immediately provide the .reg patch.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...