Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hello,

You would need to email us as mentioned above with the information mentioned in my last post.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default Missing Windows Context Menus Items

I too have this issue and there is definitely something wrong BC4. My system’s OS is Windows 10 Anniversary x64 with all of the latest updates. Using the latest BC4 exe installer BCompare-4.1.9.21719.exe it doesn't properly initialize Explore context menus, i.e. they're missing. Though if you instead use the alternative MSI installer, BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi, the explorer context menu’s do appear and are functional. You definitely tell a difference between the two installers as the “Program and Features” app shows “Beyond Compare 4” as the installed app after installing from the BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi installer. While the BCompare-4.1.9.21719.exe installer shows BC as being installed as “Beyond Compare 4.1.9”. Not sure why the difference but the “.msi” works while the “.exe” is definitely broken. I believe this issues exist with previous BC4 version as well.

One would expect both the “.exe” and “.msi” installers to be identical but that isn’t the case. One one thing the “.msi” doesn’t ask a single question during install but the “.exe.” does. Something is most definitely broken here with BC4 as this same issues is reproducibly on all multiple systems.

[IMG]http:/www.mellesmoen.com/Beyond_Compare_4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/www.mellesmoen.com/Beyond_Compare_4.1.9.jpg[/IMG]

The issue is widely reported but has not reproduced on any of our test systems and generally only effects some users that have BC4 already installed and then performs an OS update (Win7 -> 8, or apply a service pack). It's possible to hit with a fresh BC4 install but this is much rarer.

It seems to be related to writing to the registry (required for a Windows Shell Extension to work), and different installers might be elevated differently depending on your user, etc. We have a debug program that can show us a snippet of your registry in the bad state, which can help us troubleshoot what the installer failed to initialize with no reported error. If emailed, we would have been able to provide this debug utility before you fixed it with the MSI or applied our .reg patch which manually fixes the issue.

If any users are hitting this, please email us at support@scootersoftware.com and we can collect the necessary debug information. If you don't have time to help us fix this bug, we can also immediately provide the .reg patch.
    Aaron P Scooter Software