Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Explorer Context Menu Install Fails

The explorer context menu items are not installing for me. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on an Intel Core2 duo. I have tried both the debug and the release builds and I have also tried the install quite a few times with no success.

Any ideas on what I should check to see what has gone wrong?

Brian Gladman

Two things you should check are that the "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer Context Menu" option is checked in the options dialog, and see if the menu items show up in BC's "Explorer" menu. Since it's a 32-bit process it might indicate whether there's a problem in general or just with the 64-bit DLL.
    Zo P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Two things you should check are that the "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer Context Menu" option is checked in the options dialog, and see if the menu items show up in BC's "Explorer" menu. Since it's a 32-bit process it might indicate whether there's a problem in general or just with the 64-bit DLL.
    Thanks for the quick response Craig. I cannot set the "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer Context Menu" item. When I click the box and apply the setting it appears to work but if I close and reopen this options dialogue again it returns as unset (whether or not I close BC3).

BC3's context menu items are all ok.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Gladman; 20-Jul-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Brian, do you have administrative privilages on your Vista box? More to the point, I'm wondering if there is a registry entry that is failing to update when you enable the Explorer context menu functionality.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    Brian, do you have administrative privilages on your Vista box? More to the point, I'm wondering if there is a registry entry that is failing to update when you enable the Explorer context menu functionality.
    Hi Michael,

Yes, I have admin privileges on my box.

I checked some of the registry entries but I don't know how many I need to check.

I also think this is a registry issue since the 64-bit shell extension DLL is present. There is a registry entry that enables the shell extension but setting this doesn't enable the shell since this entry gets set back to disabled in some way. This suggests to me that another registry entry (for example, one that says that the 64-bit DLL is present) is not being set (or tested) properly.

Maybe Craig can let me know which registry entries are involved. I can then use RegMon from sysinternals to see what is happening during the BC3 install.
    Last edited by Brian Gladman; 22-Jul-2008 at 02:18 AM.

Brian,

Have you tried the fix in this post?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

The .reg file in the post Michael referred to has all of the relevant registry entries.
    Zo P Scooter Software

Thanks Michael and Craig, clearing out the registry using the fix Michael suggested, uninstalling BC3, rebooting, deleting the BC3 install directory and then installing BC3 again fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your help, which I much appreciate.

Brian

Just FYI -

I had used the Cirrus install and was also having the same issues.
    I just uninstalled, ran the registry file, reinstalled, and everything is working as designed. I'm on XP Professional , SP2.

Default BC3 and 64bit Win7

I just installed BC3 on my new 64bit Win7 machine and am unable to get the Explorer context menu working (it is set in Tools > Option). I uninstalled, ran the reg file linked above, and reinstalled BC3, but it is still not working. Any ideas?