in Merge Results, how can I tell what I did?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulGGardner
    Visitor
    • Jul 2008

in Merge Results, how can I tell what I did?

As I resolve issues between the files in the 3-way merge, I can see the colors update in the merge results area. However, they can be difficult to pick out, as the default colors are quite close for me. I've changed them to be a bit further apart in an attempt to make it easier to separate, but I was wondering if it might be possible to push down the merge results arrow that indicates which side (LHS or RHS) was selected to resolve the issue - assuming the user used the entire section and didn't simply make manual edits.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

In other words, when you visit a merged line, you want BC3 to compare the output line with the left and right inputs and, if there is a direct match, show the move button in the output pane as depressed?

Or, better worded, you want the arrow associated with a merged side to always looked flat, and the arrow associated with the unmerged side to always look like a 3D button even when the user is not hovering over them?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• PaulGGardner
      Visitor
      • Jul 2008

Or, better worded, you want the arrow associated with a merged side to always looked flat, and the arrow associated with the unmerged side to always look like a 3D button even when the user is not hovering over them?
      Yes, although the word "depressed" is better than the word "flat".

Currently, this is done via the colors in the merged area, and it would be helpful if the buttons indicated the same as well.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by PaulGGardner
        the word "depressed" is better than the word "flat"
        Actually, depressed and flat are two different things. If you hover over an arrow and click on it, it will depress (have a dark gray edging around it). In my opinion, having all the arrows looking like buttons (some depressed and some not) would be visually distracting. I would prefer the flat 2D arrow to a depressed button to keep the visual experience cleaner and less distracting.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• PaulGGardner
          Visitor
          • Jul 2008

I would prefer the flat 2D arrow to a depressed button to keep the visual experience cleaner and less distracting
          I can understand that, but my original post was to request that the move arrows provide an indication of what was selected. If I select the RHS, consequently making that move arrow flat while the LHS is 3D (as per your rewording), visually I think that indicates the reverse.

The scenario above, my request would be that the LHS move arrow would remain flat, while the RHS arrow would depress.

IOW, I want the arrow associated with a merged side to always looked depressed, and the arrow associated with the unmerged side to always look flat, unless the user is hovering over them.

Comment

• Tim
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks, Paul. We've considered doing that. The button would stick down when clicked, but it would likely need to pop up again if any edits are applied to the section. It's not trivial to implement (efficiently) due to the way we keep track of things, but it's a reasonable suggestion.
            Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

The treatment would be like the little Conflict button in the gutter, or toggles on the toolbar. I think perhaps you and Michael are referring to the same thing.
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
                I think perhaps you and Michael are referring to the same thing.
                Yes, whether the look is
                "flat" (for selected) and a rounded "3D" button (for unselected) or
                "flat" (for unselected) and a depressed "3D" button (for selected)

It accomplishes the same thing...the arrow for the selected change is visually different than the arrows for the non-selected lines, and the arrow associated with the unselected side does not look depressed.
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• PaulGGardner
                  Visitor
                  • Jul 2008

Tim,

It's not trivial to implement
                  I figured, otherwise it probably would have been done already. BC is absolutely fantastic visually.

Michael and I are indeed referring to the same thing - the only difference is in the preference of how selected and unselected should look.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...