Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Craig, it's not specific to any one file, it's based simply on file size. For instance I just downloaded a copy of The World English Bible (http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/web6710.txt), (it's ~4MBs) and made an edit at the 25%, 50%, and 75% mark. It took 1m 30s to complete the diff in BC3 while in BC2 it took less than 2 seconds.

Oh, BTW, the temp file is used when the file is large enough that we don't keep it all in memory (I think 16K lines). In BC2 we just kept the original file locked while it was open in the viewer; in BC3 we make a copy of the original file and keep it locked instead. I think it's also used for undo-after-save support.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

I like the no file lock. In the past I just wanted to have two version of BC2 open. One diffing file a.txt and file b.txt. Then another window diffing b.txt and c.txt. Then my plan between the two was to make a modification to b.txt in the first and then alt+tab over to the other, import the changes, and make additional edits based off that diff.

3-way merge in some scenarios is overkill not to mention it's hard to line things up properly when diffing 3 ways. It's much easier to do manual aligns with two text windows.

That said it should really be an option. I've had scenarios where I've had to diff very large logs (several hundred megs) and I had no plans whatsoever to edit those files. So I'd have no need for the backup. In that scenario the right thing to do is load them in as memory mapped files, store the differences in memory (or if necessary dump them to disk somewhere), and then call out to the original file to get the original text.

Looks like we messed something up in the latest build. I can reproduce what you're seeing here and it doesn't occur in 461. Should be easy to fix.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Awesome - thanks Craig . I had to revert back to BC2 and that was kind of annoying me.

Out of curiosity when can we expect an update?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtraeme View Post
    @ron ... clicking on the referree in BC3 I don't see any tabs labelled session or comparison. The popup box is called Session Settings, but the tabs are simply:

Specs, Format, Importance, Alignment, and Replacements.
    I forgot to specify that I was in the folder view when clicking on the ref. But it seems you've come up with a good test case and a fix is coming soon - nice.

There will be a new release early next week with this fixed.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

I just downloaded 463 and still have very slow compare of large text file (approx 3 mins for 7.5MB)

Could we get a pair of files sent to support@scootersoftware.com and your BCSettings (Help menu -> Support; Export)?
    Aaron P Scooter Software