Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpreiss
    New User
    • Aug 2013

Beyond Compare for Mac would be awesome!

Hi Scooter Software, I recently switched to Mac and am missing beyond compare badly. I used it several times a week on Windows. Do you have any update when the Mac version might be available (maybe also with a limited feature set?). Martin

Comment

• sc0ttkclark
      New User
      • Aug 2013

I am also a BC evangelist living a lie on Mac, nothing compares to Beyond Compare! I'd gladly join your testing group, so add me to the +1 list

Comment

• intersol
        Enthusiast
        • Apr 2006

Maybe someone from here is able to provide some hints on how to call Beyond Compare with command line arguments when running Parallels on OS X

Here is the full question: http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...arameters-from

So far I was able to start BC but only if I provide no command line arguments.

If I provide any PATH it will start-n-stop instantly.

By default BC2 Starts with current directory as being the windows executable directory, so you need to call it with full paths. I tried things like \\.PSF\home\file.txt but it doesn't work, tryied to double the backslashes, still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Comment

• gabrielmaldi
          New User
          • Sep 2013

As many here, I'm a long time Windows user who recently switched to Mac and hasn't found anything even close to Beyond Compare. Would like to contribute as a beta tester!

Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for everyone's interest. We do not have any beta testing opportunities to announce at this time, but check back in this thread, the News and Announcements forum, or our Facebook page for any updates.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jswebsteve
              New User
              • Sep 2013

+1 for a Mac version. BC is the only reason i have Parallels installed

Comment

• DEinspanjer
                Enthusiast
                • Nov 2007

Been using BC forever. Helped beta test BC3 back in the day. I switched over to Mac a few years ago, and after a very brief exploration of other diff tools, I found I just had no interest in trying to make a go with replacing a tool that is Beyond Compare. Hence, I've been running it under Crossover for about five years now. Works well enough, but lacking the commandline integration for things like git diff/merge and such.

Man I really hope that the beta starts up soon. I would love to help see this through to the finish line and I will happily fork over the money for a new license. I've sometimes felt guilty about how reasonably priced BC is.

Comment

• Narbat
                  Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2010

DEinspanjer: Take a look earlier in this thread to see how I got BC3 command-line integration working with Wine. I haven't used CrossOver but I expect it can do something similar.

Comment

• Dorgo
                    Visitor
                    • Mar 2012

Guys, I don't care what you have to do. Separate mac version, XQuarts stopgap, twice the price... please make this a reality!

I've switched to OSX after many years of resistance and as far as a web development platform it's everything that Windows wasn't. What I wasn't prepared for was losing Beyond Compare.

You never know how valuable something is until you lose it and the lack of Beyond Compare has definitely impacted my productivity, not to mention all the time spent trailing every inferior alternative and virtualised hack.

I just need my tool back that i can throw it
                    $ git mergetool
                    on a 100mb SQL dump and it says 'no problem, what do you want to do?'

need beycomp, will alphatest !

Comment

• holerit
                      New User
                      • Aug 2013

2 years ago...

Originally posted by Craig
                      27-Sep-2011, 11:02 PM
                      We are working on a Mac build.

FireMonkey is not as complete or stable as I'd like, nor as compatible with the VCL as I expected, so yes, while it is what we've been waiting for, it's nowhere near a recompile.

Once we do have something running we aren't going to immediately release it as a beta though. Just due to the differences in platforms, there will have to be a lot of work done to polish it and make it look and act like a native Mac app, and we can get through most of that before we need beta feedback. Simple examples would be the Ok/Cancel button order and the differences in keyboard shortcuts.
                      And there goes 2, TWO full years of development without even a public beta...

Come on, you see there are lots of people craving for it... hire more people, do something!

2 years is too much!

Comment

• dusenyao
                        New User
                        • Dec 2007

Rumors has it that the beta test has already started.

Comment

• cosmin
                          New User
                          • Feb 2012

+1 for Mac

+1

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

We've been in private alpha for the Mac version for several months. However, this is a big project on a new platform and our development team is small. When we've done enough polishing and bug squashing to meet our standards for beta quality, we'll release it as a public beta.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• KrisKros
                              New User
                              • Oct 2013

Can hardly wait!!!

+1 for a Mac version. BC is the only reason i have Crossover on my machine!

Comment

• PeterMcG
                                New User
                                • Oct 2013

Another +1 for Mac version. I will be getting a MAC in the next couple of weeks and will install BC as soon as it is available. Kinda sad it's not ready yet, glad it will be. I use it ALL the time!

Comment

Working...