X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanderego
    New User
    • Nov 2007

BC3 for Mac?

Current Status (12/2013): It's in beta! Come and get it.
    Old Status (07/2012): We (Scooter Software) are working on Beyond Compare for the Mac (announced Sept 2011). It will be a paid upgrade from v3, but we haven't settled on a specific upgrade policy yet. It will be the full product, not a separate, OS X only version, and aside from some exceptions, will have all of the same features as the Windows release. We don't need beta testers yet, and will post in the News & Announcements forum when we open it up for wider testing.

Craig P, Scooter Software
    Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but what is the chances of a BC3 release for Mac?

I tried the search and found nothing.
    I thought this was asked before.
    Were they deleted?

Thanks,

Alan
    Last edited by Zoë; 24-Dec-2013, 11:08 AM. Reason: Updated with information on current status
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

No, we haven't deleted any of the past threads.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=2378

Thanks for your interest in a Mac version of Beyond Compare. While we have great interest in doing an OS X port of Beyond Compare, we do not have the resources to make a Mac version at this time.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• alanderego
      New User
      • Nov 2007

Aaron,

Thanks for the refresher link.

I hope you get the resources together to get a Mac version.

I'll keep checking.

Thanks Again,

Alan

Comment

• jujuthing
        New User
        • Jul 2008

+1

I recently switched to a mac and BC is one of 3 applications I need parallels for. There is nothing comparable to it in the mac os x world...
        So +1 from me

Comment

• redspot
          New User
          • Jul 2008

+1, too

I'm a Mac user, too, and would really like to see a version of BC3 on the Mac. Given that you're working on a Linux version would a Mac version (even if it uses X11) be so hard?

I'm a registered user of BC, and I really miss not being able to use it on the Mac.

Thanks.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by redspot
            would a Mac version (even if it uses X11) be so hard?
            Yes, I would like to see BC3 on the Mac too... but, as a programmer and taking into consideration the size of the Scooter team, I must agree that it is not a realistic expectation at this time. Maybe BC4 will have a Mac version... we can only hope.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by redspot
              Given that you're working on a Linux version would a Mac version (even if it uses X11) be so hard?
              I don't think it's worth going into too much detail, but yes, a Mac version will be a fair amount of work that we simply can't handle right now. Among other things, we're a small company and between v3 and the new Linux port we're already stretched, and we don't have room for more people.

That said, I think we're currently receiving a couple of Mac requests a day right now, so believe me, we know there's demand.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• mgillespie
                Enthusiast
                • Dec 2007

<rant>Surely if running a wide range of software is a requirement, why on earth do people buy a Mac? I mean it's common knowledge that it's got a fraction of the software that Windows has..

Every where you go, you see mac owners pestering companies for mac versions.. Perhaps they should have considered the software they want to run as a higher priority than the "coolness" factor of MacOS.</rant>

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

There are lots of good reasons to buy a Mac...
                  Without going there, I use Macs that also run Windows (using Parallels)... so I get the best of both worlds.
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• tdnathan
                    New User
                    • Jul 2008

Not a big step to mac

I have just taken the red pill and stepped over to mac. I would love to see a BC3 OSX version & if you have a linux version it should not be a big step. OSX is BSD under the hood.

Give it go it! It's not a big step to take the red pill

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

It would actually be quite a bit of work to make a Mac port. While we would like to have a port and we are aware of the demand, we just don't have the resources to make a Mac version at this time.

Most of our customers that have switched to Mac are running Beyond Compare in a virtual copy of Windows using either Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/) or VMware Fusion (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/).

We've also had one customer report success running BC2 on an Intel Mac using the Darwine emulator (http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/). I don't know if Darwine will work with BC3.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• awi
                        New User
                        • Oct 2008

Need BC3 under OS X

Just to express my interest. I really wait for BC3 for OS x. BTW I could live with a Linux port running under X11 until a native OS X version is ready.

Comment

• ebelisle
                          New User
                          • Nov 2008

Yet another request for Mac Port

I have been a long time user of BC2 and as a recent convert to the Mac would like to add my voice to the others looking for a Mac version of BC. It may never happen, but it won't be because we didn't ask.

Comment

• laura
                            New User
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mgillespie
                            <rant>Surely if running a wide range of software is a requirement, why on earth do people buy a Mac? I mean it's common knowledge that it's got a fraction of the software that Windows has..

Every where you go, you see mac owners pestering companies for mac versions.. Perhaps they should have considered the software they want to run as a higher priority than the "coolness" factor of MacOS.</rant>
                            Because we're so sick of Microsoft Windows that we're about ready to puke!

Comment

• Dave_L
                              Veteran
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by laura
                              Because we're so sick of Microsoft Windows that we're about ready to puke!
                              Me too. That's why I now use GNU/Linux about 99% of the time.

Comment

Working...