X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hans.Schmidts
    Enthusiast
    • Jul 2008

missing functions for 3-way merge

I like this feature very much, and I think that this will be the main reason to switch from BC2 to BC3-pro. But I miss some functions:

1. It should be possible to specify a 3. directory in the session, which will automatically be uses for center file in 3-way merge. It's quite normal that you have 3 complete projects to merge, and it's annoying that I need to select the center file always by hand. For me it's not important to show this 3. directory in directory view.

2. I would like to open 3-way-merge directly from folder view, even if it's not possible to show it in a tab. This would also help to find this nice function at all (I was searching for it for a while...).

3. I would like two buttons to save the merge result as left and as right file. It's annoying that I always need to copy and past the full path to the field "Enter filename here".
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Hi Hans,

A folder merge is in the works...it just hasn't been implemented yet.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Hans.Schmidts
      Enthusiast
      • Jul 2008

As mentioned I don't think that a 3-way folder merge is so important. The relatively simple addition of supporting the 3rd directory just for automatic opening of the 3rd file in 3-way file merge would be a significant improvement of this helpful function.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hans.Schmidts
        The relatively simple addition of supporting the 3rd directory just for automatic opening of the 3rd file in 3-way file merge would be a significant improvement of this helpful function.
        I agree. But I believe that triggering a 3-way file merge from a 3-way folder compare will inherently be available in a 3-way folder merge session (the Scooter team can correct me if I am wrong.)

Personally, I would prefer that the Scooter Team focus on the target functionality so that it is all available as soon as possible rather than adding in temporary functionality now that would only be removed once the 3-way folder merge is implemented.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Scooter...

You probably can't promise a "date", but I am interested to know where this functionality falls on the priority list. I must agree with Hans in that the ablility to launch a 3-way file merge from a 3-paned folder session is hottest item on my wish list.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Michael,

We do plan to have 3-way folder comparison eventually, but we don't have an ETA for it yet.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...