X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHM60
    Visitor
    • Feb 2008

manual select matching lines

I tried 3-way merge (with C++ input) and it worked quite well. But for larger files BC finds some matches, which are wrong. Most lines after these are wrong matched. So I was searching for a possibility to manually resync the corresponding lines. I found only an option with simple file compare, but not in merging mode.
    Are am missing some command or is it not available?
    If not, please add it!
  • Erik
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

In a Text Merge, focus on an appropriate line in one of the input sides (left, center or right) and select Edit -> Align With.... Then click on an appropriate line in one of the other input sides to perform the manual realign. This is an undoable action.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• MattVsMatt
      Visitor
      • Oct 2011

Hi Erik (or current functional equivalent),

This probably comes under the category of RTFM, but I bought BC3 a number of months ago, even though I thought it didn't have this capability (manual comparison resynchronize, or Edit -> Align With ..., as Scooter calls it), because BC seemed to do such a good job on its own that I wouldn't miss this feature. (I did think it was rather cocky on Scooter's part to leave this feature out, though.)

Now I am glad to have discovered (via this thread) that the feature was there all along - I should have known better. But since all of the other programs where I've encountered this feature call it "resynchronize", it might be helpful for Scooter to at least make a nod to that fact by adding a note to the user documentation (e.g., in the descriptions of Align With) that would allow users who search for "resync" to stumble upon the Align With feature. Well, at least now there's this post, although it won't show up in a search of the "Text Compare (2-way)" discussion.

Otherwise - very satisfied with BC - and since I haven't RTFM, continuing to occasionally be pleasantly surprised.

MattVsMatt

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I think we would need to be careful with this rename, since Sync Actions are already a terminology we use to describe another aspect of the program.

We're always here to help if you have any questions. You'll probably find the Help file quite useful, but if you'd rather watch a few videos that cover some topics, we have some here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php?zz=videos

Also, if you are ever in a dialog or screen and want to know more, click the '?' help button next to the 'X' close button for that Window. That will take you to a context sensitive help section.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...