• Show
Clear All
  • tired
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2005

FTP uploads truncated

Build 462
    WinXP Pro SP3

I know that PureFTP server is not highly regarded, but I'm not sure if that's the problem here. I was trying to upload several very large files overnight. When I checked in the morning, BC3 had stopped uploading these files. It was clear that BC3 had begun uploading the files but had stopped for some reason, mid-file. (For example, one file had ~150 MB of its 460 MB uploaded.)

What I'm assuming happened is that the server burped, the connection dropped momentarily, or something similar. And afterward, in each case, BC3 abandoned the upload, rather than resuming it.

Does BC3 not support FTP upload/download resume? (I know the FTP server in use does support it.)
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

I don't have a problem with PureFTP in general, just with one specific aspect of it that we unfortunately can't work around.

In this case you're correct that it was probably just a transient glitch, and BC currently doesn't support resuming interrupted transfers. If I have time I'll see about adding support for it, but we're crunched for time, so I can't promise it will occur before the official release.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Re-reading your message, I should note that BC does try to reconnect and upload the file again, so resume wouldn't have helped in this case. The server was down long enough that it couldn't reconnect, so it cancelled the pending transfers.

Immediately and automatically resuming an interrupted transfer will probably get in before handling restarting a cancelled transfer like this since it will require additional user interface and backend work.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• tired
        Enthusiast
        • Apr 2005

Maybe I misunderstand you, but I do know that full resume support would have prevented this problem. Using other software (e.g. FileZilla, et. al.), I have been able to resume uploads I stopped hours prior, after fully disconnecting, and so on.

No need to reply. I just hope that resume support is added at some point. Right now I find myself having to use other clients to resume uploads that BC started, but those clients don't have sync features (or their sync functionality sucks), so it can quickly become a confusing mess.

Comment

Working...