Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Code Review Notes

I'd like to resurrect this topic. I work for a large software company and we do whole team code reviews on (almost) all our code. Many have moved to creating zips and using BC for the reviews but some still use printed paper for them (ah!). The main reason for this as that BC doesn't have a good way for a reviewer to jot notes about the code as he/she is looking at it. It is also hard for the coder to collect these comments (no easy place to write it in the code). With paper this was much easier.

So what I think we want (and I suspect many others do to if they do any sort of formal code reviews) is the following, in priority order:
    1. Way to add notes to code without changing it directly.
    2. Way to view those notes easily. Perhaps a go to next note button?
    3. Way to send those notes to the coder. Perhaps copy all notes to the clipboard (adding line #) or save them to a separate file.
    4. Way for coder to import multiple notes into BC so I can see them all along with the code.
    5. Way to do this all seamlessly and live over the internet/intranet (okay, perhaps I'm dreaming)

Any chance of this happening? We've been using BC for a while and hoping this would come a long with no luck so far. I haven't found this available elsewhere either (at least with any of the tools my company has bought/created).

Related thread: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=4959

Hello,

This is still on our Customer Wishlist. Our wishlist is not currently scheduled development, but is a place our developers go to for ideas for future enhancements or features. I've added your notes to our entry.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I'd like to be another squeaky wheel for this request.

/dps

Any further word on this feature? It would be very helpful to my work.

Thanks for the ping. Sorry, we don't have any new info for this wishlist item at this time.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I just found out that WinDiff has a capability to store comments made to a diff to their own file that can be imported by someone else:

============
    ==============================
    File:.\so-test.cpp : .\so-test2.cpp, Total comments:1
    ==============================
    Comment #1, L22 of right file<21>
    Reviewer comment:
    Why not just initialize the variable to 1?
    Source line:
    np += 1; // useless line for code review test
    ----------------------------------------------
    ============

This is a model that BC might use to permit some simple sharing of code review comments. WinDiffs work, but they are pretty rudimentary (for example, there's no mechanism to delete or edit a comment).

Another area where WinDiff's implementation falls short is that it would be nice if the comment file could be opened directly and have the tool automatically open the corresponding diff based on the "File:" information int he header. To be useful for code review, BC and the header information in the code review comments files would need to be able to support version control systems and/or patch files natively.

Anyway, it's an idea that might be a starting point for code review support.

Thanks for the feedback, reference material, and analysis. I'll add all these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
    Aaron P Scooter Software