Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Add Review Notes / Comments to Diff

Is there a way to add notes or comments to a file comparison? I'm often reviewing / diffing code and I'd like to be able to add notes for the original developer.

I envision something like MS Word where I could select a line and add a comment.

Thanks,
    Brian

I can see this taking a few different forms:

a "gloss" that goes to the clipboard, that can be pasted to any document (including e-mail) the user might have open. This should include the line numbers from both left and right sides for reference back to the source.

a "comment" inserted directly into the file on the side selected, with any comment prefix that BC3 knows about for the filetype and a reference to the line numbe(s) on the other side.

a "gloss" that automatically gets inserted into a file differences report.

My choice would be for either the first or last forms -- but maybe Brian has another suggestion that fits his uses better.

/dps

This would be a very good differentiator for the Pro version. If it's implemented similar to the way MSWord does it, as a overlay, that be be sent back to the developer from the reviewer.

I don't think any other diff application does anything like this...

I believe someone mentioned in another thread that it would be nice to be able save session info to a file in a common folder so that another user could open that session info file to see the same compare session you were working with. It seems to me that such a "common" session file could also contain comments from the original reviewer.

When the second reviewer opens the BC3 session file, it would load the first reviewers saved session and comments. When the second reviewer selects a commented line, the comments could appear in an info pane at the bottom of BC3 just like the current info panes that are already there for things like the "Text not found" responses to find operations.

Of course, there might need to be some sort of visual indicator to alert reviewer to where the comments are...such as the yellow gutter color when a line is changed (but a different color for commented lines).
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 06-May-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: corrected typo
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Thank you for the suggestions. A commenting feature sounds useful. We'll keep it in mind as a possibility for the future.
    Chris K Scooter Software

So what's going on with this commenting feature in BC?

It is still on our Customer Wishlist. A few other big features have taken priority.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Lightbulb Comments

Hi,

I would like to develop this functionality as a plug-in. is there a documented API for BC? what i would basically like to do is to be able to load and save
    windiff-formatted comment files.

unfortunately, people in my company still use windiff in order to perform
    code-reviews as it contains a comments module... i'd like to change that!

thanks..

chen

Beyond Compare has a plug-in API that can make a complete viewer (replacing the Text Compare, Data Compare, etc). The plug-in API doesn't provide a way to add commenting functionality to the Text Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

In addition to Chris' notes, we do have a Description field on the Home screen. Select the session and then view the Specs tab. This is not full commenting, but does allow for a couple small notes about the saved session.
    Aaron P Scooter Software