• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donaldshimoda
    Visitor
    • Jul 2008

Is really done with Kylix

I bet most of we are Delphi developers.

I read HERE the linux version is made using linux.

Please can confirm that? can please explain me how yo accomplish that?

I read in several forums Kylix dont work with latest distros (i use ubuntu 8.04) is wrong?

Thanks a lot for your comments. Im VERY interested.

Donald.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Donald,

Yes, I can confirm that Beyond Compare for Linux is developed using Kylix.

Kylix itself doesn't work well on newer distributions, but applications written in it (generally) work just fine. Our Linux developer uses SuSE 10 (not SLED), and there's information on setting up Kylix in that environment here.

We're using the Qt3CLX project instead of the Qt2-based CLX that Borland shipped, so it uses Qt3 instead and gains KDE themeing. We had to buy commercial licenses to the Linux version of Qt Desktop light.

We use a single set of DFM files for both platforms, and all design-time work is done in Delphi. We don't use XFMs or Kylix design-time support at all. Every single component we use is a thin wrapper that descends from the CLX components in Linux and the TNT Unicode components on Windows. Where necessary we added dummy properties to the CLX classes so they would load the Delphi properties without faulting.

Our official releases are built using FinalBuilder and CrossKylix.

I wouldn't recommend Kylix for new projects though. If you're starting a port now Lazarus is probably your best bet. When we started Lazarus was missing quite a few components and Kylix wasn't as dead as it is now.

If you have any more questions or need some more details let me know.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• donaldshimoda
      Visitor
      • Jul 2008

Congratulations

Originally posted by Craig
      Yes, I can confirm that Beyond Compare for Linux is developed using Kylix.
      Well done! I think the product is great, and really love having the option to work in linux, becaus emy dailiy work is 50% in lazarus/linux and 50% Delphi (virtualbox+XP).

Originally posted by Craig
      I wouldn't recommend Kylix for new projects though. If you're starting a port now Lazarus is probably your best bet. When we started Lazarus was missing quite a few components and Kylix wasn't as dead as it is now.
      I get a BIG project today compiling in Lazarus and Delphi using a ifdefs. Im using REMOBJECTS in that projects. Was not so much work, now i must test in depth if the app do wich is supposed to do.

I will se if calify by upgrade to version 3.0 or will buy if dont.

Best regards.

--
      Donald Shimoda [Team RO]

http://blogs.remobjects.com/blogs/donald

Comment

Working...