Word wrap in file view of text-possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alec_Burgess
    Visitor
    • Jul 2008

Word wrap in file view of text-possible?

Hi new to Beyond Compare - currently evaluating BC 3.0 (build 459).
    I hope this is the right sub-forum to post this?
    Question: Is word-wrap in text view still unsupported? If not, can I assume it won't make it into BC 3.0 release version?

I found this from Chris (08-15-2005, 12:29 PM) -not sure what version it referred to.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...18&postcount=2
    Sorry, the current version of Beyond Compare doesn't have a word wrap feature. Word wrapping is on our todo list for a future release of Beyond Compare.

As a workaround, you can limit the line length to force BC to wrap at a fixed number of characters, but the current version won't compare across the forced wraps so it probably won't be to useful. To set the line length, select Tools|Edit Current Rules. Change the "Maximum Line Length" setting to force a wrap.
    At the end of that thread I found
    Are you aware of the "Search|Next Difference In Line" command (Ctrl+Shift+N) in Beyond Compare? This will cycle through differences within the current line.
    which may mitigate the problem.

Everything else about BC 3 is so flawless I kept thinking I had just not found the feature yet. Heck "even" KDiff3 has word wrap
    Last edited by Alec_Burgess; 03-Jul-2008, 06:04 PM. Reason: typo thing s/b thinking
  • Alec_Burgess
    Visitor
    • Jul 2008

Word wrap - followup:
    Are you aware of the "Search|Next Difference In Line" command (Ctrl+Shift+N) in Beyond Compare? This will cycle through differences within the current line.
    which may mitigate the problem
    Hmmm ... neither Next/Previous Difference (Shift+Ctrl+N / Shift+Ctrl+P) can be put on the Toolbar. Can you remedy this?

Comment

• jseghi
      Visitor
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Alec_Burgess
      Hmmm ... neither Next/Previous Difference (Shift+Ctrl+N / Shift+Ctrl+P) can be put on the Toolbar. Can you remedy this?
      The Next Difference command in BC3 finds the next difference in the line as well, and that item can be put on the tool bar.

Comment

• Alec_Burgess
        Visitor
        • Jul 2008

Alec_Burgess
        The Next Difference command in BC3 finds the next difference in the line as well, and that item can be put on the tool bar.
        see screenshot - are we talking about the same thing?
        http://screencast.com/t/mwx5YPfS

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

If allowed on the toolbar, I would suggest amber arrows pointing left and right instead of up and down to differentiate them from the "Next/Previous Difference Section" toolbar buttons.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Erik
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Alec_Burgess
            You can "Select Browse Mode" to be "Browse By Difference" so the arrows in the bottom right (see image) will perform "Next/Previous Difference".
            Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Alec,

Back to your original question, BC 3 beta doesn't support word-wrap, and we won't be able to add it in for the official BC 3.0 release. Word-wrap is still on our wish list for a future version.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mbrinson
                New User
                • Oct 2012

Only in pro?

I have the standard version and this is not working for me.

When I change the browse method to "Browse by difference" the up and down arrows (immediately above and below the dot you click on to change the browse mode) disappear.

Also, pressing Ctrl+shift+n does nothing. I am only able to go to the next difference section.

I guess I should verify that I am correct in my understanding of what the expected behavior should be. I am thinking that when I click (or press ctrl+shift+n) that the cursor position should be jumping to the difference within a particular line. Is this correct?

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by "Browse by difference". Did you select "View > Show Differences" in the Text Compare?

The command "Search > Next Difference Section (Control+N)" should cycle through multi-line blocks of differences. The "Search > Next Difference (Control+Shift+N)" should cycle through differences within lines.

If this isn't the behavior you're seeing, please send a pair of example files you're having trouble with and a copy of your settings to [email protected] and we'll try to figure out what is causing the problem. To save your settings to a file, select "Help > Support" and click the Export button.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

I discussed this with one of our developers and he clarified where the "Browse by difference" setting is. This option should only be disabled if there are no differences to navigate to. However, if there are differences and it isn't working, please send us a copy of your settings and a pair of example files and we'll try to determine what is causing the problem.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• frenchglen
                      Visitor
                      • Jun 2012

hi chris! is word wrap added to bc yet? look forward to finding out.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Word Wrap is not in BC3, yet, but if you generate an HTML Report, viewing the report in a browser can wrap in some cases. The browser itself helps handling the wrapping of the data.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kd777
                          New User
                          • Sep 2013

A word wrap function would be a tremendous help

Hi Aaron,

It would be wonderful if you'll consider adding a word wrap function to Beyond Compare. It'w already an outstanding software program, but I often really miss the word wrap feature.

Thank you very much if you and the team at Scooter Software would consider adding such a feature to BC

Kind regards,
                          Klaus

Comment

• streep
                            New User
                            • Jan 2014

Can we already wrap text in the current version?

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Wrapping text is not supported in the main Text Compare view. BC3 will scroll horizontally until a line break is hit, then it will go to the next line.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...