X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

459 Folder delete failure

I attempted to delete an empty folder - the folder did not disappear, yet no error dialog appeared.

Log showed:

2008-06-29 01:31:00 Unable to delete Valses romanticos [Disc 2 of 2] [7798108080064]: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Even though there was no file in the folder.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 21-Feb-2010, 12:01 PM.
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

May I request this failure of error dialog be fixed? Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

Is your request to fix the text of the dialog to reflect the selection of a folder? Or to troubleshoot why you received the message?

This is an older post; are you able to repeat this error message on an empty folder?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Apr 2008

> Is your request to fix the text of the dialog to reflect the selection of a folder?

As I said, there is no dialog.

May I request this failure of error dialog be fixed?

> Or to troubleshoot why you received the message?

No. Proper error reporting will later assist troubleshooting these recurring FTP failures.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

So the blue link did not appear above the Log?

Is this error reproducible following a specific set of steps? Could you attach a screenshot of the error and list the steps?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

> So the blue link did not appear above the Log?

No idea. My report is that no error dialog appeared, not that no "blue link" appeared.

> Is this error reproducible following a specific set of steps?

Not TMK.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

In BC3, if any errors are encountered we log them in the Log file, and we also present them in the status bar as a blue link. Clicking this link causes the File Operations Errors dialog to appear, listing all of the errors in greater detail. This dialog begins hidden does not pop-up without clicking the link.

See attached screenshot.

Is this the error dialog that you are missing? Or do you expect a different dialog? A fullscreen screenshot of the error you encountered would help.
              Attached Files
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

What I expect is when such a file operation fails, BC shows an error dialog. A tiny blue link in the status bar is no substitute.

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

It's not just the link. The progress bar turns red, and the file operation panel doubles in height and sticks around after the operation completes with the last error message displayed. We support multiple file operations in parallel now, so multiple things can fail at once; showing a modal dialog is no longer appropriate. If you need specific details the link is available to open the full error dialog.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but we're happy with the current approach and haven't heard any other complaints about it, so I don't see it changing.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

> multiple things can fail at once; showing a modal dialog is no longer appropriate.

s/appropriate/as trivial/

Thanks anyway.

Comment

• Zoë
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

You got me. We didn't change this because we thought this was a better approach, we did it because we're lazy.

Please didn't put words in my mouth. If we don't do something because it's difficult, I'll say so. The current UI is the way it is because we actively removed modal dialogs in favor of modal-less panels to make it easier to work while other file operations are going on. There are almost 100 dialogs in BC; if we'd wanted 1 more we could have handled it.
                      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...