Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had forgotten about the visible whitespace option. Assuming this shows up in the merge window as well, this will at least give me a heads up if I am going to write the wrong style file after a merge.

Ummm yeah it's pretty obvious that the encoding wouldn't help. I quickly pulled it up, saw DOS in the list and assumed it was talking about EOL characters. Sorry about that.
    Jeff

Default Just had this happen again

I did two merges this morning, using the copy of build 459 I downloaded today. In both cases, the left and center had PC-style line endings and my version, the right file, had Unix-style line endings (had visible whitespace on to verify this). In the first merge, the output file displayed with Unix-style line endings, and in the second, it displayed with PC-style. The only difference between the two merges (other than the files involved) was that the first, where my line-ending style was used in the output, did not have any conflicts between the left and right files, and the second, where the left/center line-endings were used in the output, did have conflicts between the left and right files. This is consistent, as the first time I had this problem was also when I was resolving conflicts between two versions of a file.

What criteria does BC use to determine which side's line endings to use?

Quote Originally Posted by tlscales View Post
    What criteria does BC use to determine which side's line endings to use?
    if L=R then use L {unchanged, same change}
    else if C=R then use L {left change}
    else if L=C then use R {right change}
    else use C {conflict}

However, if the chosen file has a mixture of line endings, it will use the system default.

I am unable to reproduce the problem with the steps you've given. Please send your settings and the files you are having trouble with to support@scootersoftware.com
    Erik Scooter Software

Default Sending settings

I am sending a copy of my settings as requested. I cannot send copies of the files, as they contain proprietary information and I cannot easily sanitize them. I am unable to duplicate the problem by starting the merge from the BC3 home screen or from the command line, only while initiating a merge of a file with conflicts from the Perforce Windows client (P4V). Is there a command line setting that P4V might be adding in the event of a conflict merge that might be affecting the output format?

Tim,

I just sent this information by email, but I'll post it here for anyone else monitoring this thread.

I don't have a strong Perforce background, so here's a link that describes how they handle line terminators: http://kb.perforce.com/P4dServerRefe...n..LineEndings

It looks like by default Perforce always stores text in the repository with LF as a terminator. Using the default settings, it will check files out to your system using terminators that match your operating system (CRLF on Windows). When you check the file back in, it should automatically convert it to the preferred format (LF) of the repository.

You can edit your Perforce workspace options to force it to check out in another format. To change the setting In P4V 2007.3, select Connection > Edit Current Workspace. Change the "LineEnd" setting to "unix".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    - Select "View -> Visible Whitespace" to show line endings.
    - The file type indicator is listed in the status bar of the input editors (MAC, PC, UNIX, MIX).
    - "Compare line endings" in the "Session Settings" dialog will treat differences in line endings as important. This is most useful for mixed line endings.
    I am having troubles with getting mixed line endings and I could not find this feature in my version of Beyond Compare. I checked to see if I have the latest.

Hello,

The Session Settings dialogs are context specific. Are you currently in a Text Compare session (viewing the text of your files)? If so, the Importance tab should have the "Compare Line endings (PC/Mac/Unix)" option near the bottom of the dialog.
    Aaron P Scooter Software