Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down why refresh so slow(or why refresh?)

one of my daily work is copy files from remote server to local. sometimes I need to select files and choose Copy to left or right. in 2.0 or version before 3.0 b456 it will start copy immediately. but for 3.0 b456 it will refresh for very very very very very very very very very very very very looooooooooong time before start copy, that's really a big setback.
    if copy from local server it will be fast, but why so slow for remote servers?

In your default Comparison settings for folder compare sessions, do you have the "Compare contents" option checked? If so, every file pair will be compared during the refresh scan. Try limiting your compare options to "Quick tests" settings when you will be doing work that requires a refresh.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Which refresh are you talking about? Are you saying you are selecting files, then using Copy To Other Side, and the Copy To Other Side Preview window takes a long time to populate with information? Or that after clicking start it takes a long time to Copy?

Would you be able to send a screen shot of the Copy To Other Side preview screen if that is the issue? If you can, please include the whole BC window (filters, etc). You can also send you BC Settings.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) to support@scootersoftware.com
    If the Copy takes a long time, how long does it take if you perform the same copy from My Computer / Explorer?
    Last edited by Aaron; 30-May-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added comment about filters.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Default steps

we have folder A on local server and folder B on remote server, both folder contains same files and folders(file contains are different but names are same)
    I start a session to compare A and B, A at left B at right
    -- optional step: wait till all subfolders size information been shown
    then I select some files and folders under folder B, right click, choose Copy to Left
    then it will show a progress bar above the log panel, show "Refresh..."
    that will last very long time(it's so long that I don't have time to wait for it.), no copy started before the refresh finish.
    if use 2.0 the copy will start immediately, even though the copy will on top the BC window.

according to what I see from Vista copy, copy from the remote server to local is about 50kB/s to 100KB/s. the files I want to copy are about 10 -100MB.

is about information enough? if not I will record video for you when back to office next Monday.

This sounds similar to a problem that I have been having with the latest build (456) as well.

I am regularly doing folder diff's between my local drive and a UNC shared folder or to a virtual network drive (ClearCase view).

I have been noticing a lot of extremely long delays in performing operations. It mostly seems to occur when I have let BC3 idle for at least a few minutes. When I come back to it, it can take 20 seconds to even respond to clicking on a different file than was selected to change the focus. Sometimes it ignores the first thing that I attempt to do. If I click again the window title show (not responding). Typically, once it has come back I don't experience delays until it sits idle again.

I have tried the same thing with BC2 comparing the same folders and don't experience this. I hadn't noticed anything like this with BC3 until probably just the last build. I had a lull and didn't use the previous build quite as much, so it may have been present and I just didn't encounter it.

Kelly,

Your issue sounds like it's hanging trying to detect the free space on the drive so it can display it in the status bar. That's really the only thing that hits the disk when you're just clicking around in a directory comparison. BC2 does the exact same thing though, so I don't know why BC3 would should the behavior and not it. I'd guess that the delay occurs because the OS closes some connection while it's idle and has to reestablish it. The behavior that could be causing a problem has existed for quite a while though; it shouldn't have changed any in a recent build.
    Zo P Scooter Software

Scratch that. Turns out BC2 caches the disk free space values and only updates them after file operations, which would explain why it doesn't show the same behavior.
    Zo P Scooter Software

I just confirmed that BC2 does not exhibit the same behavior. I had the same folder comparison open in BC2 and BC3. Allowed them to sit idle for several minutes. Switched to BC2 and double clicked a file to compare. It came right up. I then immediately switched to BC3, double clicked the same file and BC3 sat there non-responsive for 20+ seconds.

I find it hard to believe that something has changed in my system in the last week or two that would have suddenly caused connections to be closed in all cases. Also based on my test, the connection was re-established because BC2 opened the remote file to compare it. Thus when I switched to BC3, the connection was already refreshed. If anything was dropped, it looks like the handle in BC3 was dropped and had to be reopened.

My usage pattern of BC3 hasn't changed since the earlier beta drops, thus it seems that something has changed in the last release or two that has caused this to start happening.

I have tried turning off all the quick tests and background refresh and set the automatic refresh to 30 minutes. I still find that if it sets idle for even as little as a minute, that it hangs when I attempt to do anything in the folder window and whatever I attempted to do get ignored.

Any suggestions on other work arounds to try?
    Is this being investigated?

If this can't be fixed, I may have to switch back to using BC 2. I spend most of my time waiting for BC 3 to finish whatever it is working on, so that I can do my diff's and merges.

Thanks,
    Kelly

I went through our revision control history and I wasn't able to find anything that would have introduced this behavior. If you remember which build you were using before you started seeing the problem email support and we'll send you a copy so you can check whether it was a change in the beta or not. Recent versions were 453 (4/22), 455 (5/6), and 456 (5/19).
    Zo P Scooter Software