X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penguin22
    Enthusiast
    • Dec 2007

File Compare to Folder Compare Error

I initially opened BC3 with a file compare session with two XML files and when I try to remove the file from the path to switch to a folder compare so that I could align different files, I get Error Opening File <default> ANSI. It seems that it is not leaving the File Compare.
  • Erik
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Changing paths won't switch from a Text Compare to a Folder Compare. To do so, use Session -> Compare Parent Folders In New View.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

This brings us back to my request (eons ago) for an up-both-sides button in a file compare session that would replace the current file compare session with a folder compare session using the parent folders. Having to select "Compare Folders in New View" is cumbersome, at best...and I don't find it intuitive or user friendly.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• penguin22
        Enthusiast
        • Dec 2007

I agree with Michael's request completely. This would restore the functionality as it was in BC3.

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by penguin22
          I agree with Michael's request completely. This would restore the functionality as it was in BC3.
          Huh? Michael's request is an enhancement; we've never supported anything like it in an version of BC.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• penguin22
            Enthusiast
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Craig
            Huh? Michael's request is an enhancement; we've never supported anything like it in an version of BC.
            You are correct, that will teach me for posting from my Blackberry before looking first... In fact, I was referencing a BC3 new feature for Go up one level on both sides! Just goes to show how your brain can play tricks on you. (I love that function btw)

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

The reason the current functionality feels cumbersome to me:

1) 90% of the time that I want to open the parent folders, I am done with the file compare and want to close it. But I can't close it or I'll lose my context for opening the parent folders. So I have to leave the file compare open, drop the Session menu and find and click on the "Compare Parent Folders In New View" option which then puts me in a new tab. Then I have to go back and close the file compare that I am done with. It aggravates me every time it happens. A single click on a button to close the file compare and open the folder compare in its place would be so much easier. It would also be more intuitive since it would be consistent with the up-both-sides option already available in a folder compare.

2) My primary method of launching Cirrus (9 out of 10 times) is via the Windows Explorer context menu. Once I am in a file compare, I often come across items that remind me of things I should look for in other file pairs within same folders. Closing the file session and getting back to the parent folders is a multi-step process that saps productivity. The scenario occurs with great frequency, so the inefficiencies of the current method are multiplied many times over.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Oct 2007

This is one enhancement that I yearn for almost every time I use BC3 (which is pretty much EVERY DAY). Please. No amount of "practice" or "repetitive conditioning" has managed to make the current functionality feel natural or intuitive. On the contrary, the current functionality is as cumbersome for me today as it was 3 years ago!
                Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 02-Sep-2011, 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks, Michael. This is still on our wishlist and something we are looking at when designing our interface.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...