• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corey
    Visitor
    • May 2008

3.0 License

Hello,

I used to use Beyond Compare where I used to work and loved it. In my current endeavors I find myself needing it again, came to the site to download the demo, and noticed that 3.0 is about to be released.

To my delight I noticed that a Linux version is in the works. Very excellent! However, I was quite disappointed to see that a separate license is required for the Linux version vs the Windows version.

If the licensing scheme of 2.0 holds up for version 3 -- the fact that I, as an individual, can use the software on my home PC, work PC, laptop, etc., I find it a unfair that I would have to buy two licenses because I use two different desktop operating systems.

I totally understand having the "Standard" and "Professional" edition licenses and what that means, but I do not understand why those who live in a multi-OS world are required to pay twice for the same piece of software, just on a different platform.

I am an open source junkie, so it is rare that I want to shell out money to buy a tool when there are plenty of quality tools out there freely available. But as I said before, I used it at a prior place of employment and found it to be a top notch tool -- worthy of the cost. Be that as it may, I would rather go without the tool if it comes that I would have to pay for it twice just so I can run it on Windows and Linux.

Would it be possible to re-evaluate the terms of the cross-platform part of the license before releasing 3.0? I think other Linux/Windows users will fall in the same boat if they have to choose a platform...

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Corey; 21-May-2008, 09:06 AM.
  • ron
    Fanatic
    • Dec 2007

Is there a precedence for any other software that provides a license for multiple platforms for the same price as that for a single platform?

Unless the port was merely a recompile, I'd expect to pay some fee for support on additional platforms. Most of the application code must be common but I'm guessing the UI layer might be unique to the platform.

The few tools I use that are available on multiple platforms require a license for each platform. IF porting to other platforms cost little or nothing, and that becomes widely proven/known, then peer pressure may change things.

Comment

• Corey
      Visitor
      • May 2008

Two come to mind immediately (only because I bought them as well):

Data Architect, a ERD design tool distributed by theKompany allows me to download their product for Windows as well as several UNIX variants.

MyEclipse, the full blown Java + JEE software development platform. For one price I can download and run (fully supported by the vendor; not just because it's Java) on Windows and Linux.

To the point you make about "I'd expect to pay some fee": The operative word in your statement is "some" fee. Sure, maybe tack on an extra $10 for a "multi-platform" licenses, but to charge the entire license fee twice for what I would classify as utility software is somewhat exorbitant.

Originally posted by ron
      Is there a precedence for any other software that provides a license for multiple platforms for the same price as that for a single platform?

Unless the port was merely a recompile, I'd expect to pay some fee for support on additional platforms. Most of the application code must be common but I'm guessing the UI layer might be unique to the platform.

The few tools I use that are available on multiple platforms require a license for each platform. IF porting to other platforms cost little or nothing, and that becomes widely proven/known, then peer pressure may change things.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

It hasn't made it onto the pricing page yet, but we have added a dual-platform license, that will be 1.6x the base rate, so a dual-platform single user standard license will be $48 and a pro license will be $80.

The Linux port was considerably more involved than just recompiling. We're using a different UI library, which also involved purchasing commercial Qt licenses, and about 50% of the third-party libraries we use are different between the two releases. We've also added features that have no bearing on the Windows release at all. We just added support for GNOME and KDE's trash cans, for example. Finally, there's the increased support costs we're going to incur due to the number of distros out there.

To put it simply, the Linux release needs to bring in enough income to justify its existence. If you don't want to buy both licenses you can just get a Windows key and run the Windows build under Wine.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Corey
          Visitor
          • May 2008

Thanks Craig!

That makes sense and is also reasonable.

Is there an upgrade path to a platform license if I were to buy 2.0 today? How would that work?

Comment

• Tim
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

If you buy a BC2 license today, you get a free upgrade to BC3 Standard, or pay the difference to get Pro and/or a dual platform license. (For example, $30 now and $18 later to upgrade to BC3 Standard dual platform.)

To avoid the bother of two purchases, I'd suggest using the BC3 beta in trial mode for free. We've extended the trial period to 45 days + 15 grace days (of actual use), and you can even suppress the nag dialog for now.

Our online ordering system should be ready on June 30th to sell BC3 licenses and upgrades, but if anyone is real anxious to get a BC3 key, contact me at [email protected].
            Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

We have pricing information on Upgrades as a subpage under the Pricing tab. There is some basic information there. Here's a direct link:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta3...hp?zz=upgrades

Basically, if you qualify for Upgrade Protection then you get a free Standard license (and can pay the price difference to bump it up to Pro). Otherwise there is a discount applied. Would this be a single user license, or volume?

Here's a handy example of a volume upgrade:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop.php?c=whywait
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
                Fanatic
                • Dec 2007

Ok, let's practice, say a BC2 single user upgrade scenario to BC3 Pro with upgrade protection...

$15 Upgrade BC2 -> BC3 SE
                $20 BC3 SE -> BC3 PE difference
                $10 Upgrade protection for BC3 PE
                ----
                $45 Total

Comment

• Tim
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

The first year of upgrade protection is built in, so it would be:

$15 Upgrade BC2 -> BC3 SE
                  ----
                  $35 Total

If you bought your BC2 license on or after 1/1/07 it would be:

$ 0 Upgrade BC2 -> BC3 SE
                  ----
                  $20 Total
                  Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
                    Fanatic
                    • Dec 2007

I added the $10 because of this...

"You only get automatic upgrade protection when you pay full price for a license. It is not reestablished when you pay half price to upgrade to a new major version."

Comment

• Tim
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Ahhh.. You're right. I forgot about that.

For those who like to budget their software costs, the annual maintenance fee will be a good option. On a pure value basis, it's a gamble on whether or not we'll release another major version within 2 years (comparing 2 years x 20% vs. the normal 50% upgrade).
                      Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• IbnSaeed
                        Visitor
                        • Dec 2007

I have a v2 License and I bought it around 2 years ago.

Would I be able to upgrade to 3 for half the price.

Comment

• Tim
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Yes, that's correct.

We now have an "upgrade calculator" at:
                          http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta3...zz=upgradecalc
                          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...