Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Platforms

Default Other Platforms

We have been making decent progress on a Linux version of BC3, with a general strategy of releasing it at the same time as the Windows version. With any luck, we will be starting early beta tests on the Linux version in a month or so.

We also get a lot of requests for a native Mac version of Beyond Compare. While we'd love to offer it, an OS/X port would be difficult based on our current development environment and limited resources. After we get version 3 released and settled down, we'll take another look at the feasibility of a Mac version.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Default Re: Other Platforms

I have only one thing to say:

WWWWOOOOO HHHHOOOOO!!!!!

I'm still doing manual diffs on my Linux workstation. (I run Win32 within VMware virtual machines.)

Would a Windows version purchase also allow you to run a Linux version? Or would that be counted as 2 different items?

Wonderful program!!

Our current plan is that Linux and Windows pricing will be the same, although separate licenses will be needed to run on both platforms. We'll likely have a bundle price for getting both together.

Here's our tentative pricing for a single user:

BC3 Standard = $30
    BC3 Standard Win32+Linux = $50
    BC3 Pro = $50
    BC3 Pro Win32+Linux = $70

Comments anyone?
    Tim T Scooter Software

The prices seem very fair to me (especially considering the price of the competition). Any thought of an 'upgrade' price for existing users? Would there be a discount?

Comments anyone?
    It's great that you're coming out with a native Linux version.

But I'm disappointed that I'll need to purchase two licenses.

A nice feature of the BC license is that with a single license, I can use BC on more than one computer (although I only use one computer at any given time). Since I dual-boot Windows and Linux, then I'll need two BC licenses to run BC on both the Windows and Linux partitions on the same computer.

I'm still working on the upgrade policy, but there will be a discount for BC2 license holders. I'll post more details in this forum soon.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Thanks for your feedback, Dave. Our pricing policy for BC3 is still tentative, so it's a good time to get everyone's opinion.

Anyone else?
    Tim T Scooter Software

A nice feature of the BC license is that with a single license, I can use BC on more than one computer (although I only use one computer at any given time).
    This is what I liked about Borland's "like a book" license policy, i.e. install on as many machines as you like, if, like a book, you only use one at a time.

I'll still need two licenses, as I'm frequently using my Linux workstation and Win32 within a VMware virtual machine (at the same time, switching back and forth). If there were an OS X version of BC, then I'd gladly fork out for another license. It's not like the $800 we recently forked out for one software package, plus the other $400 for the other.

Thanks, guys, for making BC so affordable!

The freedom that BC Licences allow are very generous, and I would imagine generate sales itself.

I like the fact, that the licence is tied to ME, not my machine, so I can install BC where I need it, and as long as it's only me that uses, a single licence suffices.

This is very handy, as I use BC at work (my company bought a large number of licences), but it means I can use my licence at home for my own stuff. The licencing flexability is the icing on an already great cake, and the reason I recommend BC to so many people. Please don't lock it down..