Perforce integration hangups

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perforce integration hangups

Using BC 2.5.2 (build 252) and Perforce 2007.3.147477 in WinXP 32-bit

I used to be able to use SCI within BC to automatically check out a file as I do diffs, but I think with the latest version of BC it hangs. If I have any directories listed in Options:SourceControl:Associations when I change a Base Folder, the hourglass comes up and BC sits. Not in a completely hung way, more of a "there is a modal dialog somewhere that I can't see/access" or its waiting for a thread to finish a task. I feel this is the case because I can move the window, it refreshes, etc but there are just no files in the compare windows and the hourglass won't go away. I also am unable to properly exit the app.

If I remove the SCI assocations before doing a compare, then everything is fine.

Any thoughts?

Re: Perforce integration hangups

Hello,

Unfortunately, newer versions of Perforce can cause problems with BC's use of SCC integration. Here is a handy KB article on the subject:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_perforce.php
    The article contains a workaround that you can use.

You can contact Perforce and let them know you are interested in SCC support.

-Aaron

Comment

Do I really have to go back to 2004.2 for this support to work? I know its just this one aspect of P4 that needs installing, but I could have sworn things worked in 2006.x at least? I haven't been on 2004.x in forever, so maybe a later version still works?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We've had mixed results with later versions. There have been other accounts of people thinking another version combination worked previously. Back when this issue first came up and we contacted Perforce, this was their suggestion.

There is also the possibility they can fix SCC support if there is enough demand.

If you find any particular combination that works for you, let us know. The specific file mentioned does seem to help.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

At the moment, I'm toying with an idea we used successfully with an internal tool.

I modified the registry to add another source control provider that essentially points to a different p4scc.dll. Thing is, when I point it to the one we use for our tool, the BC2 dialog comes up (prompting P4 info). When I point it to the p4scc.dll that I extract out of your recommended perforce.exe, I get no dialog (and never add the dir to BC2).

Our p4scc.dll (2002.x) works in bc2 somewhat, but crashes more than infrequently.

This is for Vista...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\BeyondComp are2\p4]
          "SCCServerName"="BC2 compatible P4"
          "SCCServerPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Beyond Compare 2\\p4scc.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceCode ControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders]
          "BC Perforce SCM"="SOFTWARE\\BeyondCompare2\\P4"

Comment

• afm
            New User
            • May 2008

Brad's fix works for me with both BC2 and BC3,

http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...read.php?t=471

Comment

• mindw
              New User
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by afm
              Brad's fix works for me with both BC2 and BC3,

http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...read.php?t=471
              I've tried this with BC2 2.5.2 and 2007.3.15.5579 but still no luck. BC accepted the path and I could see queries in the form of ( <path>/...* ) in the scc log but BC did not prompt me for checking out files.

Any ideas (beside replacing P4SCC to an older version)?

Comment

Working...