X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grunt
    Enthusiast
    • Mar 2008

"visible whitespace" state ignored by bottom comparison lines

the two over-under full-width text comparison lines at the bottom of 2-way text comparison mode seem to ignore the "visible whitespace" toolbar button setting and always display the whitespace placeholders.

is this by design?
    can option to turn this off be provided?
    can option to choose which characters to use to represent each kind of whitespace be provided (with some fonts the default choice is poor).
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

There is an override (lock) for the text details. Right click on the text details and open the context menu. Disable the "Lock visible whitespace" option.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• grunt
      Enthusiast
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
      There is an override (lock) for the text details. Right click on the text details and open the context menu. Disable the "Lock visible whitespace" option.
      wow... thanks, it never even occurred to me to try and right-click THAT, let alone to guess that whitespace visibility in the bottom two lines would be controlled from a pop-up menu invoked by right-clicking them - there's no similar entry in main comparison panes pop-up menus, for instance... and perhaps this should be a hint to the devs as well.

as an aside, what's the big idea behind mandatorily decoupling whitespace visibility control between main comparison panes and the bottom two lines? personally, i either care about the whitespaces, and then i care about them in both places, or i don't care about whitespaces, and then i don't want them to clutter view in both places. but hey, that's just me, right?

Comment

• grunt
        Enthusiast
        • Mar 2008

"Show as Hex" in 2 bottom lines - broken

since we're at it, if i tick "Show as Hex" entry of bottom-2-over-under-full-width-comparison-lines (what DO they call them properly in bc3?!?) :
        • the font used to display them changes
        • so does their height
        • background coloring goes haywire - completely unrelated to width of text being displayed
        • hex values of whitespaces overrun preceding character hex values (NOT every instance, but usually after several non-ws chars). needless to say that the values are completely out of sync with the ruler (if you enable one) then.
        • black selection rectangle (you get it if you try to click one of the hex values) positioning is completely arbitrary and not related to any hex values displayed.

also, what unit of measure does ruler use when font selected is proportional?

win-xp sp2, bc 3.0.448, see this thread for some details on my font settings.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by grunt
          what's the big idea behind mandatorily decoupling whitespace visibility control between main comparison panes and the bottom two lines? personally, i either care about the whitespaces, and then i care about them in both places, or i don't care about whitespaces, and then i don't want them to clutter view in both places.
          This functionality was requested by other beta testers:

Originally posted by Jobol
          Here is a suggestion that would be usefull for me, and I hope for others as well.

A "Visible Whitespace" option for two bottom line horizontal compare only!

That would be really useful in non cluttering the main view, but when you need more details in the bottom of the views, they are available.
          Originally posted by ron
          This will be very handy and I intend to leave it on as the single line view is always where I go when I want to know 'exactly' what makes this line different.
          Originally posted by goldsy
          I think that this is a great idea. I had already mentioned in another thread that I couldn't "see" trailing space differences in the bottom edit lines like in BC2. The show white space characters feature definately creates too much white noise to be left on all of the time. Thanks for the suggestion.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

The Scooter team will need to address your other feedback regarding the Hex details.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

I'm not able to repeat it here. I'll need to you send us a screenshot that illustrates the problem, along with your settings (Help | Support | Export).

Thanks,
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Tim
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

what DO they call them properly in bc3?!?
                You can call them Line Details or Text Details.

what unit of measure does ruler use when font selected is proportional?
                The ruler uses the space character as the basic unit of measure. With proportional fonts, it will correctly measure the leading whitespace (spaces and tabs) but isn't very useful beyond that.
                Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• grunt
                  Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Tim
                  I'm not able to repeat it here. I'll need to you send us a screenshot that illustrates the problem, along with your settings (Help | Support | Export).
                  vbulletin still refuses to upload some of my pngs, but here are a couple i managed to sneak by it (attached).

i shot aaron some more screenies and settings via email.

Comment

• grunt
                    Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
                    This functionality was requested by other beta testers:
                    i see... thanks.

Comment

• grunt
                      Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2008

thanks for the info, tim.

Comment

• grunt
                        Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2008

all issues mentioned here seem to be resolved as of b451.

Comment

Working...