X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron
    Fanatic
    • Dec 2007

'New version available!'

"New version available" on the menu bar.

Is that new or have I just not been paying attention?

I would like the option to download now and install later.

Where is the file downloaded to?

Is it removed after being installed?

If it's already been downloaded, should it download again if the file is the same?

Should it say install complete when finished?

Should it restart Cirrus automatically with the previous session?
    Last edited by ron; 17-Mar-2008, 10:16 AM. Reason: thought of something else
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Is that new or have I just not been paying attention?
    It was added in the February 13 release.

I would like the option to download now and install later.
    I'm considering an option to download to the desktop rather than a "silent" install.

Where is the file downloaded to?
    Your Windows Temp folder.

Is it removed after being installed?
    We're adding temp folder cleanup to the next Cirrus release.

If it's already been downloaded, should it download again if the file is the same?
    Perhaps not, but it's not clever enough to determine that.

Should it say install complete when finished?
    Yes, it would be nice to have some indication of that.

Should it restart Cirrus automatically with the previous session?
    We're looking into that.

Thanks,
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

I can't answer all your questions...but if you choose to install it right away:
      • You will you will be prompted to close Cirrus (and should do so)
      • No restart of Windows is necessary
      • Cirris is not automatically restarted. However, when you relaunch Cirrus, the Session Manager will be pointing to the latest session you were using. Just reopen the session to continue what you were doing.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• ron
        Fanatic
        • Dec 2007

..and the automatic restart works nicely. Good job

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

I, too, used the link today. Nice!
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• RunnerBiker
            Expert
            • Feb 2008

I was running Beta 447 and had set the update notification to 1 day as requested.

Cirrus had been running on my PC since Tuesday at about 6:30 A.M. On Wednesday afternoon, I got an e-mail from Aaron asking me to test something with Beta 448. Cirrus had not notified me of an update.

Maybe Cirrus only checks once a day when you set it to check daily? Maybe it checks when you start it and every 24 hours afterward and Beta 448 was realease after 6:30 A.M. on Wednesday.

When I clicked Help => Check for Updates, Cirrus found Beta 448 and installed it correctly.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Cirrus only checks for updates automatically when it starts.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• goldsy
                Enthusiast
                • Nov 2007

Would it be possible to get the option as to where the file downloads? My reasoning is two-fold. First I just don't like stuff to be dumped onto my desktop. Second, files on the desktop end up in roaming profiles which get notoriously large. I'd rather have the option to put the file on my local hard drive (somewhere it won't get sucked back into the profile) or on a network drive should I need it on multiple machines.

Comment

• ron
                  Fanatic
                  • Dec 2007

%TEMP% might be a good place

Comment

• Tim
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks. I'll consider a user-settable location.
                    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
                      Fanatic
                      • Dec 2007

Radio buttons

(.) Install now
                      ( ) Save to Desktop (Install later)
                      ( ) Save to %TEMP% (Install later)

Of course you'd expand %TEMP%. For option 1, on the install successful dialog, you'd say something like "The program installer has also been saved to %TEMP% should you need to install it again. Choose Keep to retain the installer or Delete to delete it."

I've become accustomed to my temp folder being full of junk but others could argue why keep it at all. A delete button would likely satisfy these users.

A user specifiable path might be overkill but if it's just as easy as any other solution, go for it. If you allow me to specify/browse to a path, then remembering this path would be essential because it's likely to be the path where I put all my downloads.

I like the current simplicity too. Simple/seamless to get and install. I usually save every build because that one time (with another product) it really paid off big time.

Comment

• goldsy
                        Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2007

I don't think that Save to %TEMP% really buys much more than save to desktop. I would much rather see the user specifiable path.

Ron brings up an interesting point. I have myself rolled back to a previous version of software. I typically save the previous version to roll back to if necessary. Another option and I'm not sure how to structure the controls would be to update now, but also save a copy to the hard drive. Let me throw something out there.

How about two check boxes.
                        1 [ ] Install now.
                        2 [ ] Save a copy...

The numbers are just for reference...

Of course at least one must be checked. Checkbox one will simply run the exe after download. The second determines where the exe saves and if the exe should be deleted it after it runs.
                        1 [ ] 2 [ ] - Invalid
                        1 [x] 2 [ ] - Download to default location, install and delete exe after completion.
                        1 [ ] 2 [x] - Invoke Save As, download to specified location, and no delete. Default out of box would be desktop.
                        1 [x] 2 [x] - Invoke Save As, download to specified location, install, do not delete exe.
                        Last edited by goldsy; 11-Apr-2008, 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• Zoë
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

I can't speak for anyone else here, but isn't that awfully complicated for a simple check for updates? The "Program Updates and News" dialog already has a "Visit our download page" link, so you can trivially open it in your browser and save the file anywhere you want. Frankly even the "Download to Desktop only" checkbox seems like overkill to me.

For those of you into saving old builds, it's really not necessary. Most of the Cirrus releases have already timed out, those that haven't will at the end of the month, and if you really want any previous release of BC we're usually happy to send them out.
                          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                            Carpal Tunnel
                            • Oct 2007

I agree with Craig and find the current functionality more than sufficient.

However, if changes are made to allow downloading to an alternate location, consider the following:

The presence of the "Download to Desktop Only" checkbox when your installed version is current is meaningless since there is no way to trigger the download. Why not remove the checkbox altogether and just provide another link (or button) that launches a "Save As..." dialog?
                            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• goldsy
                              Enthusiast
                              • Nov 2007

I'll buy Michael's suggestion of dropping the checkbox in lieu of a separate link to simply download the file. That certainly simplifies the process. BTW, I downloaded to the desktop and later upgraded BC3. It appears to have deleted the exe after running. Am I correct in my observations. That behavior should be removed if keeping an archive copy is desired.

Comment

Working...