Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

If deletion of the executable is controlled via a command line parameter, then it could still be deleted when automated by the "install now" link... but would not be deleted if downloaded and executed later.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• GreenMoose

Originally posted by Craig
      Cirrus only checks for updates automatically when it starts.
      No plans for checking during a session at e.g. once a day or so (or maybe even configurable like in other apps "check for updates every XXX")?
      I tend to have my folder-compare session open constantly, with refreshing it now and then and then copy some files.
      Since comparison of the files in this folder session is opened in new tab, it won't check for updates then either I guess.
      (Guess same issue if not /solo switch is used having an opened session all the time?).

Thanks.

*Edit: This seems to work with Build 456, i.e. I had a session opened from 2nd of June and today 9th of June, after a refresh, I got the "New version available" link.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-Jun-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Tom
        Expert
        • Oct 2007

Would you guys consider also (maybe optionally) prompting the user each time to (re)run the program? The main consideration here is to give me a second to reenable security software after the update process. (It will then prompt to update the file signature/hash of the executable that wants to run.)

Comment

• GreenMoose

Originally posted by Tom
          Would you guys consider also (maybe optionally) prompting the user each time to (re)run the program? The main consideration here is to give me a second to reenable security software after the update process. (It will then prompt to update the file signature/hash of the executable that wants to run.)
          Isn't that already enforced by the installer?
          I can't continue install if BC3 is already running.
          ---------------------------
          Setup
          Setup has detected that Beyond Compare 3 is currently running. Please close all instances of it now, then click OK to continue, or Cancel to exit.
          OK Cancel

Comment

• Tom
            Expert
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GreenMoose
            Isn't that already enforced by the installer?
            I can't continue install if BC3 is already running.
            You'll see from my message that you quoted it says "after the update process".

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

I think Tom means something like this:

Those that do not want an auto restart would have to clear the check mark.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tom
                Expert
                • Oct 2007

Thanks, Michael -- but I was thinking more of a post-install prompt. Your example is still prior to the process of running the MSI installer or whatever ends up being used. Here's the way a different program does it...
                Last edited by Tom; 09-Jun-2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tom
                  I was thinking more of a post-install prompt. Your example is still prior to the process of running the MSI installer or whatever ends up being used. Here's the way a different program does it...
                  Thanks Tom.

Your example is from an interactive installation of an MSI package. When updating BC3 from the "New version available..." link, a quiet (non-interactive) installation is performed. Therefore, the option to launch the app must be passed as a runtime parameter (hence the need to specify the option prior to installation).

If you want the full interactive GUI during the BC3 installation, download the installation package and run it manually instead of having the automated update process do it. You will then have the post-installation option you are looking for:

BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

The checkbox in my sample dialog could just as well have been:
                    [ ] Perform interactive installation

If you check it, then BC3 does an interactive install instead of a silent one...and you get the post-installation prompt at the end. Would that work for you (if the Scooter team implements it)?
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tom
                      Expert
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
                      The checkbox in my sample dialog could just as well have been:
                      [ ] Perform interactive installation
                      Absolutely. That's exactly what I'm asking for if it's doable and low-impact on the development process. However, the term interactive might be confusing to some since that could also imply that you'd be selecting whether or not to install the shell extension and so on.

The "full" installation is probably best done as a separate action, whereas the final prompt seems to maintain the concept of updating the existing install. (Still, if "full" is more likely to be implemented than "final prompt only" I'd be amenable to that.)
                      Last edited by Tom; 09-Jun-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the interesting ideas going back and forth. I've appened some of the notes into our tracker entry on the Updater.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Oct 2007

I don't think "Full" any clearer than "Interactive". Of course, it could just be reversed:
                          [x] Perform silent installation

And have the user uncheck it to get the user agreement, upgrade screen, and final prompt to restart.
                          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tom
                            Expert
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
                            I don't think "Full" any clearer than "Interactive".
                            Possibly not -- I know about the concept of interactive installs vs. silent from corporate deployments and the like, but I think non-techies would be hard pressed to see where setting the upgrade dialog for desired behavior doesn't qualify as "interactive". Maybe there's a less jargon-laden way to describe it, that's all I'm saying. Either way it works for me.

Originally posted by Aaron
                            Thanks for the interesting ideas going back and forth. I've appened some of the notes into our tracker entry on the Updater.
                            Thanks much, Aaron!

Comment

Working...